Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pulled the trigger on a new Thunderfunk.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arranger, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    :hyper: Man, am I psyched. This will be a big step for me as I'm not a pro or anything. I've been playing for about 30 years and figured it's time to have a real amp. And, real lightweight sure helps. I really like the idea of floating from studio to live with Dave's fan switch, too.

I have a gig at a Carnival coming up on Memorial Day and I don't doubt that this head can cut it. I can always patch out to the PA if need be.

My last bass head was an Ampeg SVT-350H and I just never got the tone out of it that I wanted. It was plenty loud enough, but the tone always fell short somehow. We'll see how the Thunderfunk fairs with my pair of 8ohm Ampeg SVT-210Pro cabs. When I can spring for a pair of 1x12s, I'll check out the Bergantinos.

Thanks, TalkB'ers, for enlightening me.

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    what is the Thunderfunk website?

3. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Still got the Ampeg?

4. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    It's Gone, Gone, Gone...

and it ain't comin' back.

5. I highly recommend the Bergantino 12's! HT112 and EX112 is definately the way to go. More depth than the 210, a LOT less weight and more clarity than the 322 (but admittedly not as good for slapping) and it is REDICULOUSLY small and compact! People laugh at me when I show up for a gig! As of yesterday my rig is now a Demeter HBP-1>QSC 1602>HT112XEX112. I also have an Avalon U-5 that I was using for my front end but I may use that stricly as a DI or take it out and use the Demeter instead! I played the rig last night in a studio setting tracking 3 songs for a local female comer and I gotta say I have never heard a sweeter, cleaner sound coming through a pair of speakers......

T

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    holy crap, Tommy,

that's a kickass rig! and a Sadowsky to top it all off!? :eek:

7. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I was thinking about a pair of HT112s, just so I don't have to worry about having the right one when I take one elsewhere - or for a backup tweeter if one pukes. I'm very fortunate that there is a Bergie dealer less than two hours away, outside Philly. I heard that the 115s are pretty delicious, too.

8. I played the 15's to, and yeah, they are FAT!! Deeper than the 12's of course, but not as focused to my ear...I preferred the tightness and even rounded tone of the 12's! As far as the HT 112 dilemma, I thought the same thing, but the reality is I doubt that the tweeter will ever fail! I have that much confidence in the product...besides, roll out the tweet and listen...the cab still sounds pretty killer without it compared to most!

Joker....I am a lucky man...all the great gear I have and I am still married to the same woman after nearly 20 years......life is good....will be better when I get my new Metro MV5!!!

T

9. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    There's a bergie dealer right outside of philly!? Apparently we BOTH need to take a trip :p

10. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I'll meet you there in about a week? It's Pro Line Music in Fairless Hills - closer to Trenton. Call: 215-736-8055

I found them in the dealer locator on Bergantino's web site. Pro Line does not have a web site at the moment, but I spoke with the owner, an URB player named Don, and he confirmed my suspicions. He loves the 115 cab for his style.