Pulling the Trigger on a Custom - Comments/Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sigma B, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    Hello everyone! I'm getting ready to have a bass built, and I was wanting to run the specs down by everyone. I'm mostly looking for suggestions or comments - If I've missed anything, or have a setup that won't work, or might work better for me, by all means let me know.

I will primarily be playing Rock type music - Live, Aerosmith, Metallica, Dave Matthews Band, A Perfect Circle, Tool, NIN etc.... While I don't have unlimited funds to buy/build basses that cover all of these styles - I'm hoping to buy/build one that covers them very as best as I can.

* 4 - string active
    * Jazz Body - Downsized or Standard? I'm thinking downsized.
    * Ash Body
    * Painted Black
    * White Pearloid Pickguard - celluloid
    * "AAA" Birdseye Maple Neck & Fretboard - no fretboard markers?
    * Black Hardware
    * Hipshot B Style Bridge (Better Alternatives? Baddass?)
    * Norstrand NJ4SE Jazz Pickups
    * Aguilar OBP-1 Preamp (with passive tone control & Push/Pull Series/Parallel switch)

Please let me know what everyone thinks!

2. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    that sounds like a gorgous bass, I have no idea what the bridge you have planned is like, the most cliche choice would be a badass I think, I have one and man did it ever change my bass. But yeah that setup sounds amazing, be sure to show me if you go through with it!
  3. How about a MM/J PU-Configuration?

And you maybe might want to add a Hipshot D-Tuner if you need notes lower than E sometimes.
  4. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    I'm pretty set on the Jazz Setup. If this one works out and I really like everything I'll turn around after I get my tax return and buy a P Bass.

The D-Tuner is an idea, although I don't how much I would utelize that though.
  5. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    The MM pickup/ jazz would be a pretty cool idea, it sounds like you have a specific sound in mind but maybe I'll go find a bass lke that tomorrow haha
  6. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Sounds like you have cooked up a winner. I can picture it without trying hard at all. For me, I would nix the fret markers, too. Fretboards are just so much sexier without them (IMO). When you get it done, you will have to definately post pics. It is required! ;)
  7. How about Trans black on the ash body...show some of that ash off. (Of course..probally only if your up close)
  8. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    I was initally thinking trans black, but decided to go with more of a simple scheme. I think there is beauty in simplicity. I just hope it works out - I'm sure Nino will post pics so I can beat me head against the wall in anticipation ;)
  9. just my opinion... but it sounds like its gonna turn out real nice!
  10. +1

Ash has a nice grain - you should show it off in an understated way. I think you should go with the solid black only if the body were made of alder.
  11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Sounds good to me. Personally, I'd go without fretboard markers, and use chrome hardware instead of black on black. A matching headstock is also nice. I like the fretboard without dots. White perloid is good with me, but I almost never like tort guards. The electronics sound good for a jazz (good call on the series/parallel), and I don't know the pickups too well...but people see to dig them. I think some jazz pickups sound great (to me) with alder, but since I don't know those, I can't comment. With a two band preamp, it might be nice to make sure the mids are gonna come through in either the body wood or the pickups.

But, whatever you do is cool.

Marshall :bassist:
  12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You mentioned playing Tool in your first post. I would have the Hipshot D Tuner installed. You'll like it.

Other than that, it sounds like pretty nice bass. Personally, I would go with the MM/J pups too, but that's my opinion. You gotta go with whatever you think is gonna work out best for you. Keep us posted.
  13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

You should get norstrand MM/P pups (loads LOADS of growl)
    If going jazzy you better get a J-retro preamp that you wont have to wire and has all you want from the aggy and more
    I second the opinion of chrome HW over black paint
    IMO mate black and tort pickguards go all the way with black basses and mapple boards
    Look for the gotoh 206 bridge (same of RB5 and RB-IV Roscoe beck signature models)
    and yes ash and trans black roolz.

I think that youll spend 1200-1300 USD on this.
  14. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I say go with the Aguilar OBP-3
    Mids are a wonderful thing!
  15. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    I've thought really hard about the 3 Band OBP, but I don't know. I honestly think that this bass will sound just about perfect. Why confuse it? I think simplicity is the best route here, but I could be entirely wrong.
  16. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Go with what is right for you.
  17. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    haha, easier said than done. I don't know what's right for me anymore
    :confused: :crying:
  18. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Does Carey's Jazz pickup do series/parallel?

Sounds like a nice bass, but if your going tool, etc. then consider the MM for the thicker sound and the U or J-retro is a stronger pre and has the mid sweep as well.
  19. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    I really tried to entertain the idea of a MM style pickup, but none of the basses I tried that had a MM style pickup in it really did it for me. Keep in mind that my suggested music style is just suggested. This is what I listen to, but versatility is the key. What will more than likely happen is: I order my bass, love it, have my luither build me a P Bass - Then I'll have most all my tonal areas covered, or at least I hope to.
  20. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    I think, for the styles of music you've mentioned, that a MM and a J4SE might work the best. Make sure the MM is in the proper position though, or it may sound a little thin.

The MM4.2 is a humbucker with 4 conductor wire, so it can go series, parallel, or single. I think in parallel it'll deliver big deep tone that will work well with in the Tool, Perfect Circle world, and switched to series it'll give you a ton of growl that will do the Dave Matthews thing very well.