Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pulling the trigger on an MTD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RobertUI, Apr 28, 2005.

1. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I am about to purchase (this weekend for sure) a 4-String MTD Kingston Heir with a Maple Fretboard. I want to know if there's some reason NOT to go with this. I've done my homework and want a really punchy bass for playing a lot of rock/r & b. My only hesitation is from some comments from freinds about not buying a Korean made instrument.

The reviews here seem pretty good, so I am just going to go for it. Michael Tobias seems like he knows what he's doing right? :smug: Just for reference, the other basses that were in consideration were a Fender Precision Deluxe (MIA - with a maple board) and a Carvin LB70 (with the maple board). For a point of reference my other bass is a Fender JP-90 which I am working on to get some serious Jazz tones from, which is why I desire a more rock oriented bass. THANKS! :bassist:

2. The Kingston is a great bass. I would go with the MIA Precision Deluxe though. That is a great bass with a great pickup combination, and (if you can find a good one) has a much higher build quality than the MTD. When the P-Deluxe is right, it is great!

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I would categorically disagree with this statement

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'm not sure I can think of any bass at all that has a consistently higher build quality than an MTD.

5. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    I agree with mike on this on my MiA fender sits on my wall when my MTD's get played :) including my MIK active heir

6. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    if you can find a good one is my concern with the newest Fenders which is why I am considering the others more heavily. Thanks for the insight, I look forward to more views :-D I am about to do the deed. :hyper:

7. +1

8. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    +2

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    When the MTD Korea products can be purchased for 500-600$ its a good value. The hardware on MTD Korea I have found to be not quite up to MIA standard, but that would be the only critical remark I could make.
    If you can get a used MIA in good shape with a good B string you can't lose, its a P Bass. (best bass for R&R in my opinion) But the Heir will be much more flexible sounding, I just couldn't hang with 1 3/4 neck width at the nut personally on the Hier. Sell your moms car, get an American MTD and call it a day.

Go Chargers!

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1, and I'm a Fender lover, as well.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ernie ball Musicman basses (not counting SUBs) have the most consistant quality IME.

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    +1

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If i sold my car i would probably only get like $150 for it. Sad, eh? 1987 toyota corolla.

14. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I have been consistently impressed with the MTD's I have played, both Korean and American.

[OT]
    Figjam, "Push it" by the Most Chill Slackmob might be the song for you.
    [/OT]

15. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    HMMM I can only imagine that you're talking 5 strings here, of which I have NO interest. As for sell my mom's car... I moved out 15 years ago, so I'm not sure that she'd appreciate that. :meh: Also I am not sure that MTD makes an American 4 string that I'd really go nuts for. See, I like the looks and design and features of the Kingston Heir, not b/c of the price but b/c of what it is. It's not a MIK version of one of their other basses, so I am not really sure what you mean by that.... Oh and the Chargers Suck :)

16. I know there are fans of MTD here. I am one as well. But we are kidding ourselves if we say the hardware and quality in the MIK MTD is better than the American Fender. I have played several of both, and the fender just feels more solid and dependable. I think it starts with the body wood. You can't simulate better body wood. Basswood will never sound or feel as good as Alder or Ash, and I think that is what this comparison ultimately comes down to.

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I think it starts with the body wood. You can't simulate better body wood. Basswood will never sound or feel as good as Alder or Ash, and I think that is what this comparison ultimately comes down to.[/QUOTE]

No, not kidding ourselves. The fit and finish on the Korean MTD's are excellent ... and as you stated yourself concerning the Fender
    tells me that QC is not too good, if some are good and some are not.

That is, after all a matter of opinion. Although you are entitled to your, I would disagree. I have 2 basses with an Ash body and one with a Maple body. I fell in love with an MTD with an Avadoire body and have heard/felt bodies of basswood, mahogany (Les Paul) and others that sound great. I think your coming from a rather narrow perspective.

Dimin

18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    [​IMG]

19. Arghh. I hate to disagree with you. I'm such a fan. You can't possibly say that basswood would compare to ash or alder. I have basses with ash, alder, maple, and tulipwood. I am a big believer in the fact that the wood makes the tone.

If basswood was as good (sonically or structurally) as ash or alder, then a lot more luthiers and manufacturers would use it as I believe it to be much cheaper. I think Rogue uses basswood.

I do agree that Fender has many issues with QC and that is a bigger problem than the basswood issue.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i setup my friend's Kingston, and after giving it a nice makeover, good lord, it rocks!!! i actually talked my bud into putting in an Aguilar OPB-1, too. ;)

and basswood has its merits, and many high end builders, Suhr, Parker, upper echelon EB / Music Man, all use it. just cause its on a lower line doesnt mean its a wood to be slagged.