1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pumping bassline

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Daniel L, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Daniel L

Daniel L

Jun 12, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Hey guys, I was wondering if it was possible to create the pumping bass sound on electronic tracks with a real bass.

I was thinking about just setting a fast attack and release compressor with a high ratio, or for this would I need a compressor with a side chain input to set the kick drum as the trigger such as the FEA Opti-Fet?

Thanks in advance

2. Sidechain on a compressor is the way to go. Most of this pumping is caused by heavily compressing the bass and drums. When the kick hits it squeezes down on the bass.

Apart from this compression you might want to look at achieving a good amount of sustain before the Sidechain compression. Maybe another compression. This way when the compressor opens up you will still have food level.

3. Daniel L

Daniel L

Jun 12, 2012
    Edinburgh
    That's what I thought, do you know of any cheaper alternatives to the FEA? I just wanted to experiment with the idea playing live instead of doing it in post production.