1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Punk tunning?

Discussion in 'Ask David Overthrow' started by I 347 f00d, Apr 26, 2007.

1. I 347 f00d

I 347 f00d

Apr 26, 2007
    I was just wondering if the bass tunning for punk is different than other genres because when ever I look up tabs for punk, the letters are reversed, saying G at the top, and when i play it with normal tuning, it doesn't sound right, but when I tune it with the notes reversed, it sounds like it does in the song. This would be fine except when i tune the top string to G, it always pops, I've gone threw two bass strings and I wanna know what to do.

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    Yo man, you're definitely destroying your neck by tuning your E string up a minor third . . . that's real rough. Keep it in standard. Any links to the tabs in question? I get the feeling you're reading them upside down. Try reversing your approach. :p

And in any case, just learn it by ear! It's good for you!

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    yeah a lot of tabs are written upside down.

4. As Snarf said, I would not recommend tuning your low E up a minor 3rd to G. In terms of bass TABS being upside down, I haven’t really ever looked at bass TAB punk music. Other guys on the site seem to think that they sometimes are. When in doubt, listen to the record and use the ear when you can.

Peace,
    Dave

5. The "Top" line of a tab is usually your (musically) highest string, being the G, which is the thinnest.

Punk songs are generally standard tuning (thickest string) E-A-D-G (thinnest string)

6. jak8303

jak8303

Apr 25, 2007
    Charles Town, West Virginia
    Endorsing Artist; Red Letter Revival Band
    Id say try "D" tuning...I know alot of the alternative or punk bands are using it...D A D G.:bassist:

7. Punk bands generally dont need/use the extra notes to be honest.

8. Yeah I don't know why they put tabs upside down, but you'll get used to it.

9. Wow.

just...... wow.

10. Green Day and Sum 41 tune Eb Ab Db Gb... try that

11. gizmobltd

gizmobltd

Jun 25, 2007
    Scranton
    isn't that a half step? you can keep standard tuning and just play everything a fret down :bassist:

12. How about a low Eb?

13. If you want to run the E up to G, use a Capo on the thrird fret. I agree tuning up that much by tension will destroy the bass.
    D tuning is cool, I use it on slide guitar, but if you start getting your scales and patterns down in alternate tuning, you'll find yourself getting messed up in standard tuning. If you want to play with alternates, try the capo on third, and tune so its (going from lowest note to highest) try Open G, dropping the low string, so you have G-D-G-B. Open G is a classic blues tuning, and the Stones have it on a lot of their songs, Ron Wood removes the lowest string, which is D in this tuning (Guitar Open G is (low to high) DGDGBD. Its a Robert Johnson type tuning, and plays different than the open D or E tunings, but sounds cool. for bass, I'd stick with standard tuning, because the others shift the fingering of scales. I keep one guitar in Open G, One ib Open D, as well as one in standard Spanish tuning.
    I run my Telestar 3/4 scale with ADGC...its to floppy any looser...it only has a 23 1/2" scale! Cool little guy, though.:)

14. It's probably because when you look down at your bass when playing it happens to be "upside down." Also as notes go higher in standard notation the higher they are in pitch. It makes sense if you see songbooks with tab and notation together.

15. kristwo

kristwo

Dec 16, 2007
    Fairmont, WV
    Punk I know... usually tuned:
    Top String - E or Eb
    2nd String From Top - A or Ab
    3rd String Down - D or Db
    Bottom String - G or Gb

usually just playing the root notes, except for like Matt Freeman from Rancid or Mike Dirnt from Green Day.

And, yes, tabs are written upside down (to look like how you're holding the guitar - just flip it)!

God Bless - kRiS

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021