1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PUPS 5 string with vintage bottom sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rhodyzoo, Oct 13, 2013.

1. rhodyzoo

rhodyzoo

Oct 5, 2013
    rhode island
    I am restoring an epiphone ebm5 and need suggestions on pups. First, would you go passive since the electronics on this model are know to be poor? Second, i dont have any experience with a 5 string so I don't have any baseline to compare against. What pups do you suggest?

Rhodyzoo
    Gibson Ripper
    '70's P-Bass
    Gibson EB-3

2. DaveyM69

DaveyM69

Jan 1, 2011
    I have an EBM5 although it's now just my back up bass. It still has stock pick ups but I ripped out the pre when it went faulty and went passive - I wish I had done it 10 years earlier as it sounds fantastic now! The stock pick ups are fine in my opinion.

3. rhodyzoo

rhodyzoo

Oct 5, 2013
    rhode island
    one of the pickups is dead so I am considering going passive. What did you use? Also need to change my pots. If this wasn't in pristine cosmetic condition I would scap the project.

4. DaveyM69

DaveyM69

Jan 1, 2011
    I never changed the pick ups as mine were/are both fine. They are passive pick ups - just feeding an active pre.

5. MrMinstrel

MrMinstrel

Oct 17, 2013
    Getting good pickups is one of the best ways to improve the tone of any bass. I installed Delano pickups in two of my basses with excellent results. I wired them passive with volume, blend, and tone controls. Very low noise, hot passive vintage tone, and very dynamic. I also highly recommend Nordstrand pickups - I put Big Splits in my Lakland - but I don't know if they make them in P/J configuration like your EBM 5.

Zero Cash likes this.
  6. lordraptor1

lordraptor1

Dec 8, 2014
    sorry to necro this old thread but I want to see some zombies LOL

I have one of these that I just got myself and since it is in such pristine condition and since it has a low number for may 1992 ( 0803 to be exact) I want to do a full resto on my electronics ( I have no issues replacing every electronic part on the circuit board if need be cause parts are cheap although the 0602D JRC 1041g IC's are proving a pain to find or any cross reference for a replacement LOL).