Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pup's for a '51 P5 Project-Help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Initially, I wanted to run 2 DarkStar 5's, but I'm not sure I want to wait for ~ June 06 for them to go into production...

I *really* like the way my Reverend 5L and BH5 sound, and the way my G&L's sound. Big, fat, rich, and a blowthruthemixlive blend of old school low end and not too modern sparkle. The Reverend's key to this (I think) while remaining passive is to wire both pups to one volume pot, in effect making one big humbucker about 4" wide. G&L is doing this with active electronics, and two big humbuckers.
    I think what I might do with this in lieu of Dark Stars is an MM5 at the neck position, and a J5 in the bridge position, wired ala Reverend 5L: both to one volume pot, one tone pot, and one toggle switch for series, parallel, and out of phase (if I'm explaining that right), and leave it passive. The Reverends have gain that dang near matches the active G&L's. This lets me keep the early two pot control plate and just add one mini toggle, which I think will fit.

Also, I dunno from pots, etc, but I think I understand 250 pots to pass kless tone and volume than 500's and 500's to pass less than 1000's...so, I guess I'm leaning towards the 1000's. Heck, If I could build without volume and tone pots and make all the adjustments with my right hand I would;)

Comments, specific product recommendations very much appreciated...

thx-chef

2. 1 Why don't you put in a pair of decent 5 string single-coil jazz pickups (like a Nordstrand, Sadowsky, or Fender), and then wire it like your Reverend?

2 Orrr...put in pair of soapbars and wire them like a Fender Roscoe Beck...

3 Orrr...you could put in a good MM5 pickup (take your pick) in the sweet spot with a series/single/parallel switch...and...get this...hide a split-coil jazz pickup under the pickguard...

I like option 3...for controls...a passive tone control...a volume control...and two small 3-position toggles (one for pickup selection, and one for main pickup mode)

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Pilbara:
    I like option 1 of course...could I use an MM5 in the neck position, and a J5 in the bridge position and still have it work?

I don't know how a Fender Roscoe Beck is wired, but I have heard a lot of guys say they like them. Can you explain that setup to me please?

As for option 3, I'll have to look at the '51 body and see how that might work...that might be too far towards the neck maybe? Also, under the pickguard? Isn't that a long way from the strings? How would that work?

Thanks for your thoughts;)

chef

4. the roscoe beck is a pezio bass.. if I was you I'd get a jazz in neck position and MM in bridge.. :)

5. the Fender roscoe beck is NOT a piezo bass...

the controls are as such (from the fender site):

-Position Blade Pickup Selector Switch:
    Position 1. (Bridge Side), Bridge Pickup
    Position 2. (Middle), Bridge and Neck Pickups
    Position 3. (Neck Side), Neck Pickup

2-Mini-Toggle Coil Selector Switches.
    Mini-Toggle Switch 1:
    Position 1. (Bridge Side), Both Coils of Neck Pickup in Series Humbucking
    Position 2. (Middle), Front Coil of Neck Pickup
    Position 3. (Neck Side), Both Coils of Neck Pickup in Parallel Humbucking
    Mini-Toggle Switch 2:
    Position 1. (Bridge Side), Both Coils of Bridge Pickup in Series Humbucking
    Position 2. (Middle), Front Coil of Bridge Pickup
    Position 3. (Neck Side), Both Coils of Bridge Pickup in Parallel Humbucking

Push/Pull Mid-Shaping Tone Switch/Pot

(and, of course, a volume pot)

this bass is very flexible...much like a G&L 2500...