pups picking up.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass4nds, Sep 23, 2005.

1. bass4nds

Sep 23, 2005
    Hey- I'm new to the board, but not to bass playing. And I feel really stupid asking such a newbie question. But I just bought a new Jazz bass, and it sounds awesome!! The kind of music I play calls for that raunchy, nasty punk sound that I love, and it works like a charm. However, my pickups don't pick up the low E string as well as all the other strings... what do I do? Is it just crappy electronics? or can I raise or lower the pickups to get a more even sound?
  2. Yes, you can raise or lower the p'up to get the sound you want. In your case, you'd start by raising the p'up on the low E side of course. Depending on the angle of the pup across the strings, this sometimes moves the pup closer to the A string too, making it too loud.
    Since you have two pups, you can experiment with raising them both or maybe just the neck pup..
    Do yourself a favor.. Measure the current height of the p'ups before you start adjusting. You might mess things up and want to put it back the way it was..

3. bass4nds

Sep 23, 2005
    thanks man. that's exactly what I needed to know.