1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pure nickel flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jamerson_fan, Nov 18, 2010.

1. jamerson_fan

jamerson_fan

Feb 17, 2008
    Hi

I really love the sound of LaBella flats, but I play too rarely to "toughen up" my fingers, which means I get blisters pretty fast.

Do you guys know of any pure nickel flats or other flats that are easier on the fingers? (I know of Thomastik, but they are too floppy for me)

I'm considering going back to Fender pure nickel rounds, but I would prefer to stay with flats.

And please, no "Man up!"-remarks. :D

2. I'm pretty surprised that those smooth labella flats are giving you blisters, but I'm pretty sure Pyramid Gold would be another pure nickel flat option.

3. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Honestly, I can't imagine the difference in hardness between nickel and steel being noticeable to your fingers. Maybe to frets, but not skin.

4. it definitely makes sense with roundwound strings - stainless steel is way more abrasive to the skin, no question. But I've never found this to be the case with flats - i've played SS and pure nickel flats plenty, and neither shredded my fingertips like SS rounds

5. jamerson_fan

jamerson_fan

Feb 17, 2008
    Thanks for the replies!

Will try the Pyramids later!

regards
    Magnus

6. daniva

daniva

May 15, 2009
    thomastiks flats are pure nickel too