Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

put a switch in that empty whole!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spidersbass, Dec 31, 2004.

1. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i just got some EMG pups and electronics. my bass has four knobs and the emg's came with 3. so now i have an empty hole on my bass. i was thinking of putting a switch in that whole but i have no idea what kind of switch or how to even wire them. anyone got any advice for what kind of switch i should put in there (and how to wire it)? thanks in advance! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

2. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    it might help if i tell you that its an Ibanez SR300DX with new active EMG P/J set. 2 volume pots (one for P, one for J) and a tone pot.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Just put a spare pot, not electrically connected to anything in the hole and a matching knob on top. Then you can tell people it's a 'mojo' control.

4. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    actually thats what i'm doing now, i left in an old pot with nothing connected to it. its pretty dumb though having a knob that does nothing... maybe a switch that can boost up the volume a bit for when i tap (if thats possible).

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    No dumber than a spare hole in the bass I s'pose
    Dunno the specifics of the preamps in question. Email EMG and see if it can be done easily.

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Nothing dumb about a spare knob. When someone asks you to "turn it down" or "change your tone" in some way, you can say "OK" and turn your "volume" knob... ;)

7. kingcakebaby

kingcakebaby

Sep 20, 2004
    Tiffin, IA
    I had this same question. I was going to order the EMG-J Set for my Fernandes bass that currently has 4 knobs with the stock electronics. I emailed EMG to see if they had any suggestions of what to do with the 4th hole based on their technology and/or customer experience. They recommended the EMG-EXB Bass Expander, saying it really fattens the tone up. I ordered the whole set, but have yet to get it to try it out.

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Active/passive switch! If there's a competent tech around to do it. I love my active basses, but when the batteries in my Ristola died, I was left with a silent bass. As soon as I can scratch up the funds, I'm having a hole drilled and one put in. Hurts to think about having any holes drilled in my baby, but I'll have it done by the luthier that made the bass so that'll ease my conscience. When your batteries die, and they will, it's better to have a lower output, passive tone than no tone at all.

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Won't work if they're EMG active pickups.

10. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It won't work with EMG active pickups only with passive pickups and a active preamp.

11. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Doh.

That's right.

Heh.

In that case, maybe fit it with a jack for a 9 volt adapter so it can be plugged in.

Or not.

12. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    make it a switch and when turned on it'll connect another battery?

I want EMGs just to (safely) mess around with 18-27 volts in my bass...

13. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Then why not connect it to a power supply a la Alembic and use the existing hole for the socket? Most of my basses are wired this way now (except I use a 7 pin Neutrik connector) so I'm able to use whatever electronics I like and never have any battery issues, just plug in and play. If my power supply goes out, so will the whole rack in all likelihood so a passive switch would be useless anyway.

14. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    cool, let me know how that goes.

15. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

ideal candidate for a suck knob.

More realistically, depending on you're needs, you can put in a kill switch to cut the battery off so you don't have to unplug it to keep from draining the battery. You can just fill around a switch stem with some tubing to snug it up. I prefer a face mounted jack but you'd have to enlarge the hole for that. Vol/vol/tone/tone?

--------------------

And happy new year crew

16. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hah! That's one knob I would install :D

17. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    :eyebrow: how would i wire all this together? would i have to put a capacitor or something in there as well? i know next to nothing about capacitors and what not... :help:

18. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    EMG Afterburner. 20db Variable Boost on a single push/pull pot. I like that little toy ;) Also great if you need a boost to solo, run alot of pedals, or overdrive an amp. It also won't require an extra battery, 9 volts is enough.

19. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i looked on there website and its under GUITAR accesories... you sure its safe for bass?

20. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Yup. I know from expierence. It just wants a signal.