Put on new strings and now a buzz?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Flat Bass, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002

I changed my strings today to Corelli Forte. Well they sound and feel awesome except my E string is now buzzing very audibly in any fretted position? The Corelli is a lighter string than I had on it before too? I have tried to raise my bridge also with no results? Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. If the string buzzes against the fingerboard (as opposed to the instrument buzzing someplace else) then there is obviously a bump in the fingerboard someplace. Try putting a straightedge on and see if you can see it; if not, take it to your luthier. He can probably straighten it out without much work...
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Also, give the strings a week or two to settle down. Fresh wires tend to be a little unmanagable. Putting on lighter strings than you usually use, and leaving them at the same height, will chase a couple of rats out. Remember that lighter gauge strings are likely going to be moving around more than heavier ones....
  4. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    It is weird? It is as though it buzzes where your finger is when it is fretted at F-F#-G#-A but quits after that? I think since it is a much smaller string that it sits lower at the nut? Or either the string being smaller than my last ones it vibrates more?
  5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I got the same strings (Forte Corellis) this week and had the same problem with the E.
    Seems there's not enough tension and the amplitude of vibration is too wide.
    Went back to good ol' Pirastros... :)
    Warmer and cleaner tone.
  6. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Ditto! I went from Spirocores to Obligatos to help my arco work. Visually, they appeared almost identical, but after the Obs settled in, the rattle/buzz became worse (and there I was, thinking that my right hand had become so POWERFUL from all the pizz practicing!).

A half turn on the wheels fixed the buzz, and improved the tone and volume at the same time, so that was an additional benefit I hadn't expected.
  7. You could go to a hobby store and buy a rat-tail file...one about the size of the grooves in your nut and bridge...VERY carefully, round off any sharp edges on yor nut grooves and bridge groove. The most important edges being the ones at the top and bottom of the groove. Stay away from the middle of the groove, since that will bring down your action!
    Arnold just reminded me on another thred to lubricate both grooves with a soft pencil lead.