Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Putting barts in an Ibanez

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phattybass, Nov 17, 2003.

1. phattybass

phattybass

Dec 12, 2002
    Hey, I own an SR485, precursuor to the current Ibanez sr495 and am looking at putting barts in it. Hwever, I've measured my pickups and they are 104 mm long and EMG40 shape pickups are 102 mm long. I've read several posts where people have replaced thier stock dx5 pickups with these kinds of pickups. Does it acutally work? Even with the tight string spacing?
    Phattybass

2. phattybass

phattybass

Dec 12, 2002
    I have visited the Bartolini and EMG sites regularly actually. My string spacing on my Ibanez is 63mm, so I thought I was hooped. But I've noticed is that EMG40DC pickips have the same magnetic structure as the bartolini 72M45C's and string width is not an issue for the EMG's whereas it seems to be an issue with the Bartolini pickups. And the other issue is that my stock pickups are 104mm long and the barts and EMG's are 102mm. The width is perfect, but the length is a bit off. I'm kinda confused. I've been asking everyone I can talk to about this but no answer yet. I can't find a pickup that is 104mm long that will work with my string spacing and fingerboard radius.
    Phattybass

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    that's only out by 1mm on either side. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. im guessing you like your sr485?

5. phattybass

phattybass

Dec 12, 2002
    Yes, I like my SR485. I like how it plays and I love how it looks. AS for tone, well, I do like it, but there's always room for improvement. That's why I'm hoping to put barts in it. Maybe there aren't too many people who like these basses or other basses are more popular . . . that's fine. This bass was a gift from a very special group of people. I won't be getting rid of it, but I do want to upgrade it as time goes on, starting with the pickups.

I still need my string spacing question answered. I have 63mm string spacing, and the bartolini 72M45C pickups apparently handle 66-72mm spacing, but they are blade pickups, two magnets running the length of the pickup. EMG40DC pickips are built the same way, and string spacing isn't an issue apparently. Since the two are built the same way, is string spacing really an issue for the barts, or put another way, should I get them anyway?

www.emginc.com

www.bartolini.net

6. bestbassgear

bestbassgear

Aug 2, 2003
    I wouldn't worry about the 1 mm difference on each side either....

Most pickups are slightly trapezoidal...smaller at the top then at the bottom...I am talking about the outside shell here...

If you measure the Barts at the top and bottom it is slightly (if ever so) different...

7. subdubba

subdubba

Jun 9, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hey phattybass, I realize this is ancient history, but how did your pickup upgrade go for your Ibanez SR485? I'm also thinking about finally improving the questionable sound from mine. Any suggestions would help, thanks!