1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Putting effects loop pedals inside an open back amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HOTCARL, Feb 23, 2021.

1. HOTCARL

HOTCARL Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2018
    Bozeman, Montana
    Hey TB gang,

I'm running a ridiculous dual amp rig a la Royal Blood which naturally consists of a ton of pedals. On the guitar signal side of things, I'm using a Fender Super-Sonic 60 combo which has an open back. Is there any risk/harm in storing pedals running through the amps effects loop inside the amp? I'm trying to avoid running more cables to my pedal boards (yes, boards plural). The foot switch that came with the amp has a button for toggling the effects loop. So my thinking is just tuck the pedals out of sight inside the amp and trigger them on and off with my foot switch. I have a Wooly Mammoth Fuzz, a MXR 6 Band EQ, and a Boss Noise Gate in the loop.

Thanks for the help!

2. If you're talking about the bottom of the speaker cabinet, you might get some vibration issues that either rattle the cab or the guts of the pedals, but I can't think of any other issues.

HOTCARL likes this.
  3. HOTCARL

Aug 13, 2018
    Bozeman, Montana
    Correct. The bottom of the speaker cabinet. I was thinking of just slapping some cheap velcro in there to keep them from moving too much.

4. If they're real secure and not right next to the magnet I can't think of anything that wouldn't happen anywhere else on stage. I've never done it, though, so take that for whatever it's worth.

JRA and HOTCARL like this.
  5. I'd up the ante and get Dual-Lock, make sure the pedals don't come loose during transit and poke a hole in the speaker cone. Haven't tried dual-lock myself yet, but I understand it has an incredibly strong hold. Mind, that hold is only good if the glue holds.

Heat can sometimes soften glue. I live in a hot & humid place and have had the glue fail on [brand of pedal tape], pedals were tumbling around in the gig bag — still locked tight to their velcro, just not the velcro to the board. So make sure whatever you use in the amp can withstand a little extra warmth given off the amp.

Please post pics of your setup, love to see it.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I put a Keurig in mine.

Riis

7. Yer using recyclable-reusable Pods, though right? Line6 Bass Pods?

HOTCARL and Zooberwerx like this.
  8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I pride myself on staying "green" whenever possible.

Riis

HOTCARL likes this.
  9. HOTCARL

Aug 13, 2018
    Bozeman, Montana
    I like where this thread is heading. Maybe along with a coffee maker I can convert my amp into a Roomba as well. :laugh:

cheapbasslovin likes this.
  10. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Not quite the same thing but I've done something similar:

20161101_195537.jpg 20161101_195557.jpg

HOTCARL likes this.
  11. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    Maybe mount them on some foam if vibration is a concern.

HOTCARL likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021