1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Putting together 72 P-Bass, wiring question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ScottGrahamMpls, Sep 21, 2010.

1. ScottGrahamMpls

ScottGrahamMpls

Aug 29, 2010
    Hello experts. On my 72 P-Bass I have a single white wire leading from the pickups to the controls. I also have a black wire that starts at the output jack, is soldered to the back of both controls and leads to the brass plate that is beneath the pickups. There is another black wire that leads from the brass plate beneath the pickups but leads nowhere. It is about 2" long. Where should it terminate?

Also, where can I get new foam for "springs" beneath the pickups. Mine is hard as a rock and will not exert any pressure against the back of the pickups.

Thanks!

2. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    If you turned the pickups over, in looking at the front pup, it has a white (+) wire coming out the top right solder lug(which goes to the volume pot). The top left solder lug of the same pup, should have a black(-) wire that goes to the the top left solder lug of the back pup. The top right solder lug of the back pup should have black(-) wire, which goes to the ground plate(which is soldered to the volume, tone pots cases and jack ground lug).

I use door weatherstripping under the pups, that can be bought at the local hardware store. Some cut up and old flip flop to size.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    LOL - I've use the same stuff! Works great!

4. ScottGrahamMpls

ScottGrahamMpls

Aug 29, 2010
    Thanks a million guys. I love the flip flop idea. Does it make Beach Boys sound any better?

5. ScottGrahamMpls

ScottGrahamMpls

Aug 29, 2010
    Is there any way to determine which is the front/back pickup? (I call the front pickup the one closest to the neck)

6. A P bass has only one pickup, and it does not matter which coil goes for which strings.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021