1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pyramid Gold users

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Wayne8, Apr 27, 2009.

1. What gauge are you using? I ordered a set of 40-100 but now I'm thinking that may be too light in both sound and feel (I currently play SIT Power Flats in 50-105). I haven't put them on yet. However, I did read where someone said they sound bassier for their size.

But then all I've found online is 40-100 or 40-105 though someone posted you can custom order but he didn't say from where.

Any comments?

2. are you using a short scale bass or long scale? i have the 40-100 on a short scale and they are fine, a little thin yes, but they sound great.

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
  4. That sounds great. Of course you're tuned down. I'm playing a jazz so I'd need long scale. My jazz came with 45-100 on it.
    I guess I just ought to go ahead and put these 40-100's on it and see.

5. Or maybe I ought to sell these and get the 105's, which is what I thought I ordered.

6. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Are you sure that set is for long scale basses? Their standard (?) short scale strings are .100, long scale .105. AFAIK. Didn't know they come in different gauges...

7. Yes, the order receipt says 40-100 Long Scale and I just held the E string up to my bass and it's definitely long scale.
    See, I don't think I'm nearly as concerned about the E string because what I've got is 100 and that's what came on the bass (in a roundwound) and what I played for a while. I just recently changed to a 50-105 so the difference between the 50 and the 40 is what I'm wondering about. Although the bass came with a 45, and that's not as much a difference from the 40 as the 50 will be. I just don't want to lose too much bass on the G string. That's what I liked about the 50 I've got on now.

8. Hey Deacon, when you tune standard, how does that G sound? Thin or bassy?

9. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Good. Definitely not thin, and not overly bassy either. IOW, well-balanced. :)

10. Great! Thanks!

11. Any idea if a 5 string set for these beauties exists?

I imagine not... after all the research I've done... but you TBers tend to know more than the average bassist or website have to offer.

If my assumption is right, are there any strings you might recommend to fill that low B? I'd love to put these on my fiver but I'm not sure if it's possible.

12. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Contact Pyramid, there's contact info on their homepage. They answered pretty quickly when I had an issue with a faulty G string. Got a new one within a week.

13. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    new Pyramid user here

just set up my Squier DAJB with a set of their flats

pretty much instantly became my fav flat for obvious reasons, imo

KILLER tone
    tension
    how they feel
    very touch sensitive
    no break in period

i normally run

TI's
    chromes
    760FL's

a bit pricey here,, but TOTALLY worth it :bassist:

14. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    YES They make a 124 B go to juststrings.com and go to single bass strings.

15. hangman

hangman Supporting Member

I believe the Pyamid Rounds [w/o "Gold"] come in different gauges (100., or 105.; in either nickel or ss), but the Gold Flats only come one gauge (105., nickel).

Hey Wayne, you're using rounds, right? Do you like them? I'm debating buying a set.

16. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    as mentioned earlier, new to the Pyramid Golds, but ABSOLUTELY LOVE these strings

just ordered 2 more sets :bassist::bassist:

17. Hey Hangman-
    A bit late, I've been out of town. But no, I've got flats in gauges 40-100.

18. Daktari

Daktari

Mar 25, 2008
    US APO NY
    I was just thinking about trying the Pyramids, as I had heard great things about them. I am going to give them a shot. Thanks for the link to Thomann!

19. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Norcal, you seem to be the man to ask regarding Pyramid Golds - you said elsewhere they have the thump of the LaBellas with the upper midrange of the TIs. I just strung up my first set of flats on my P yesterday, a set of Chromes. How would you compare the PGs to the Chromes?

20. don't be fooled by dimensions!!! pyramid strings always sound full and rich!!!