Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Q for Old School Rock fans

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by syciprider, Jun 14, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Does anybody know what bass Glenn Hughes of the David Coverdale *gasp* era Deep Purple used?

Thanks

2. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Fender Precision.

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Sorry, nope. It was a Rickenbacker Glenn used for most stuff from that Deep Purple era. Check my avatar - it's a pic of him from the Made In Europe album sleeve. I use this pic becuase it was the SOUND of the bass on that album that made me want to play bass, all those years ago...

4. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    He used a Ric and a Precision, I have photos of him with Deeep Purple playing both. Unfortunately, they are old-fashioned photos, not digital images, so I can't post them here! I think there was a picture of him with a Precision on the back page of Bass Guitar World a few issues back.

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Thanks for all the info. It's good to know there are still alot of DP fans out there. But yeah, the bass groove in the "Burn" track of the Made in Europe is one of my faves. Too bad Glenn was barely audible in the studio version.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was a big DP fan back around '72-'75 or so.

I was sick when I heard that Gillan & Glover were being given das boot.
    Fact is, I was recently rummaging through the couple of old Circus mags I still have...this one issue is the one that 'broke' the news(replacements had not been named yet, I was wondering who would they get).
    Anyway, The California Jam...I seem to recall Hughes playing a Fender(maybe not, though). I do recall him singing his ass off during that show. In other words, he didn't suck.
    ;)

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    You're right, on the California Jam video he's playing a Precision, at least in the pics I just found through Google image search. I'd forgotten that - it surprised me when I saw it, which is a good few years back now. I must get a copy of that, off to Amazon methinks...

Most of the pics aroound that time on the web do show Glenn with a Ric, though, including the Made in Europe sleeve and some photos I found on the "Highway Star" website of the Burn studio sessions.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I forgot; I already have the Live At The California Jam cd...bought it a bout 5 years ago, the sound quality is not good(ergo, unenjoyable).

On the cover shot, Hughes is playing the same Fender in the pic posted above by Mock the Hoople Regulator.

9. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    on the topic of old school bass players, anyone one know what bass the Jjackson 5 used?
    Did Jermaine only use that SG bass I saw on tv the other day when they were running through Michael's history or did he have a couple?

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

When I saw Deep Purple in 1974 (first arena rock show I ever attended), Hughes played a Rickenbacker all night.

I believe Glenn's Ric was Fireglo, which would make sense considering that it was the 'Burn' tour :p, but my memory could well be failing me!

I enjoyed the show, but even so I was hoping to see Gillan and Glover; I was disappointed they'd been replaced.

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    That is some serious malecameltoe, It hurts just to look at it!
    The things we do in the name of Rock & Roll!

12. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    LOL! He looks like some really ugly chick!

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I've seen that "SG" bass(Gibson EB-something or other) in the Maybe Tomorrow album photos...may have also seen it in one of the live TV things I have on DVD.
    The J% also had a regular Friday night TV variety show; IIRC, the J5 would get two performances per show. Would been nice if TV Land re-ran those few episodes.

Anyway, I have also seen JJ 'playing' a Fender Jazz in other TV appearances(maybe The Flip Wilson Show?).

BTW, I'm almost 100% certain that Jermaine did not play any bass on their records.
    Didya ever see him 'play' "I Want You Back" on TV?
    (Check out The Ed Sullivan DVD with the J5).
    ;)

14. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Glenn played a Rick for awhile & bounced back & forth with his P-basses. There's even an ultra rare shot of him playing some crazy looking Yamaha during their Japan tour with Tommy Bolin.

Your rock trivia of the evening: Glenn traded that Rick to Geezer Butler for a Thunderbird. Watch the Black Sabbath Never Say DIe tour vid from 1978 & it's the exact same Rick!