Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QOTSA

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by John-Paul666, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Does Josh Homme play bass instead of guitar for queens of the stone age now that Nick Oliveri hjas left cos i think i saw him on reading festival highlights.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Everything I've seen shows Troy Van Leuwen plays bass now. Along with the keys, slide, and guitar that he used to play.

3. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    He plays bass on "Burn the Witch" in some live clips I've seen. I think it revolves between Troy, Alain, and sometimes Josh. That's how "Lullabies to Paralyze" was recorded if you look at the credits.

4. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Is it just me that thinks QOTSA has REALLY gone downhill since Nick got ousted?! Sure he's a walking train wreck, but actually a really good bassist. It seems Josh has gotten a little full of himself...

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You never bought the first QOTSA cd did you?

This new cd sounds like an updated, more solemn version of that record than an original statement. I'll not be buying another of their cd's until I hear something as good as Rated R.

6. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    For the Lullabies songs it revolves between Troy,Alain and Nick.For the older stuff Alain plays all of it I think

7. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Maybe I just REALLY like QOTSA, but the new record is great. Sure, it's different, but all Queens records are different. There seems to be some filler on "Lullabies to Paralyze", though.

Rated R is my favorite, though. It has the most variation.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have a love/hate relationship with this newest release. I think some of the songs are either awful or forgotable. Some are the best they've ever written.

I imagine losing the only other member left from the original lineup had an effect on that.

9. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Homme plays bass on "Burn The Witch" when playing live, but otherwise it's left to Troy I think.

10. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA

I've been listening to Josh & co. since Blues For The Red Sun, how 'bout you?

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have all the Kyuss stuff, and both Mondo Generator albums. I've heard all the Desert Sessions, but I don't own any of them. Ditto for Brant Bjork's solo stuff. The only person from Kyuss that I haven't heard outside of Kyuss is Scott Reeder.

I dislike John Garcia's voice so I don't like Unida or Hermano.

12. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    i liked the first one, but it does seem that Homme needs to rethink his ego........

13. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    They all take their turn w/ the bass, both live and on the album. I saw them recently and it was great...I think Lullabies is great too. Not their greatest, but still better than 90% of mainstream rock coming out these days.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think Lullabies is a great album. It does have a few too many overly pop tracks. But some of it is really dark and creepy. Burn the Witch is awesome. I'm shocked it wasn't the first single from the album, much catchier than Little Sister. I think Burn the Witch was actually their attempt to reproduce "No One Knows." I hate that "In my head" song, I always skip it, and I have since I heard it on the Desert Sessions. Another really stand out track is "You've got a killer scene their man." Really smooooooth.

15. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Caught a little clip of him trying out for metallica a few years ago... sounded very awkward, he seemed out of place with them. Suppose we all could have guessed that though!

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That sucks though, Scott Reeder is amazing. I really couldn't see him in Metallica. But he's way better than Nick Oliveri.

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Heresy. But probably true.

18. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    scott is playing in a band with adam jones (tool) wife and some other guy. ill see if i can dig up that link

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Strictly based on both of their works in Kyuss. "And the Circus Leaves Town" has so many great bass hooks. He really made them more musically diverse. Nick did the traditional bass thing, with a little flash here and there. Scott, was like a bassist and a second guitarist.

20. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Scott Reeder's new band is called Butcher .
    Sounds too gothy to me.