Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GTI, Mar 8, 2004.

1. GTI

GTI

Nov 27, 2003
    I have never heard of QSC amps untill this forum. Now QSC has my interest. I have tried contacting a QSC sales rep in my area but so far no reply back. I am asking the QSC experienced here at TB to help out by giving me a "ballpark" idea of what the cost would be for RMX850 and RMX1450. Also, I have a SansAmp (pedal model not rack)...would that work well enough as the preamp with the QSC amp?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You should be able to find prices on www.zzounds.com, www.samash.com or www.musiciansfriend.com.

I'm not sure if the Bass Driver has enough output level to drive a modern poweramp to full output.

I don't know about the RMX series, but you can order QSC's PLX series amps with custom input sensitivity from the factory.

I did this a couple years ago when I bought my amp from Mark Parker at Life Effects Pro Audio in Oklahoma. Since Mark had to order my amp from the factory, they did the gain mod free of charge stating that concert sound companies do it all the time so it's no big deal.

Mark's email address is MAP146A(at)aol(dot)com

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Contact Bob Lee. He's one of our own TB members. I'm sure he'll help you out

4. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Unless you have a full time roadie, do your back a favor and buy it a PLX.

5. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i was thinking about getting the 850 or whatever the next one up is and a sansamp rackmount... would that be a good rig with a bag end S-15D?

6. GTI

GTI

Nov 27, 2003
    Like I said in my original post in this thread, all I know about QSC is what I've read here at TB. With that said, are these amps designed for overall sound reinforcement...can they be used for most any power amp application? They are not specifically designed for bass guitars? They work just fine for bass guitar and anything else...PA, guitar, home stereos? I was considering a GK 700RB. Now I'm stalled with the QSC possibilities if they are as flexible as I am assuming...any opinions?

7. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yep, I use my QSC for everything. Sometimes I use one channel to power my bass cabs and the other to power the PA (it's just mono but 1700 watts split between two PA speakers is quite decent).

Great amps. Go for the PLX :)

8. Yep PLX is the way to go, just don't plan on sitting it on top of your cabinets. :) They can rattle like crazy, I had to put my amp on a stand next to the cabs. I've heard the 1602 has this trouble, well at least mine does.
    Dirk

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I have a 1450 I've had for almost a year, $400 shipped new at the time but I'd imagine they've gone down. And yes, at 40 lbs, they feel heavier - but it stays in the bass room. About as transparent as they come for sound. And you could run your stereo with it if you wanted. Takes 2, 4, and 8 ohm loads. Power for the buck, it was my choice, and they're fairly reliable.

10. I've use QSC for both PA and Bass for the past 10 years. Good solid stuff.

11. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    What is it that rattles? Do the RMX series have similar problems? Do most power amps?

I just ordered an RBI and I'm looking forward to chosing the right power amp.

12. I have three QSC, two PLX3002, and one PLX1202.

None of mine rattle, but you can hear the fans. When my rack is on top of my subwoofer, my SWR IOD covers rattle. IMO, no amp should be placed directly on a bass cabinet, due to the pounding they take. Put your butt on the cab for a few tunes, and you'll see what I mean about pickled parts.

The PLX are more high-tech, weigh 21 pounds, and more expensive. The RMX use traditional power supplies that weigh more (substantially), and come at a lower cost. Reliability is the same, in my experience owning both.

I'd like to own an RMX 1850HD because it is specifically designed to work with 2-ohm loads. At 45 pounds, this is getting heavy. Add it to a rack with other components, and it gets really heavy.

13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've had the PLX 1602 for about a year now. No problems, no rattles. Just transparent tone and lots of headroom. Go for the PLX series.

14. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Ive been using my RMX 1850HD for about a month now with no problems at all. It is heavy though. Lots of power for the $$$ however.

15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My 3002 plx doesn't rattle, but just to keep from potentially damaging it over time, I put a one inch thick piece of dense foam between my cabs and my rack, do absorb most of the vibration. Who knows what bass vibrations can do to ANY electronics over time . . .

16. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I've been wanting to do the same thing with some foam between my amp rack and the cabinets. I'm not sure where to aquire a suitable piece of foam though. I would prefer something dark in color, maybe black or grey.

May I ask, where did you find the piece of foam your using?

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My PLX2402 rattles... I too place a piece of foam between rack and cabinet.

The fan doesn't seem as noisy as the one in my Peavey DPC-1000.

18. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania

I use an RMX 2450 and BagEnd S15D-B + D10B-D. That 850 should be OK. But your performance needs are what you should worry about.

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'd love to own an RMX850... w/ a Sansamp pre...

20. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Oddly enough, I use a black piece of foam that came as box packaging with an internet purchase that was shipped to me. Its more stiff than soft, but not too stiff, absolutely perfect. My wife was going to throw it away . . .