1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

QSC K12 or KW122?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Calaverasgrande, Mar 27, 2013.

1. I'm putting together a modular rig for clean tones, synth use and in a pinch full PA duty.
    I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with one of the QSC models.
    Looking at the K12 and K122 I see the coverage pattern is different and the enclosures are different materials.
    however they are both on the high end of weight being over 40 lbs. I am going to chalk that up to build quality.
    Anyone know if the K12 and/or KW122 are made in USA?
    I'm also interested in folks experience using one as a bass rig/bass foldback.

ps yes I'm still rocking the all tube rig, but decided I needed something that can fill a different kind of role. I also didn't like using my bass amp for my Taurus III.

2. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I bought a couple of DXR10s recently... and in my opinion, they kill the qsc k stuff. They are less expensive too.

I use them for PA mostly, but we also use one as a keyboard monitor... and I occasionally play bass through it at home for practice.

It's amazing how much low end they have. They also don't get harsh like I've heard plastic speakers do in the past.

Using just the 2 DXRs, I can run music between sets that fill even pretty big rooms with bass. They are pretty darn loud for there size.

3. I've looked at a couple other brand's powered speakers but I keep finding them a bit lacking in comparison to QSC.
    The Yamahas are cheaper than the QSC. But with 10" drivers I'd certainly need a sub.I plan on getting one too, just not right away.
    Primarily this would be for synths honestly, but I'd like to be able to plug into a preamp and then a single powered speaker and get a reasonable bass sound.
    I do like the mini mixer on the Yamahas. That will doubtless come in handy at some coffee house type gig. But no side handle? Kind of awkward to carry.

4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Hmmm...those Yammies certainly look interesting. Checked out the cost of the sub(which, from reading countless posts on the K-series, you'd need w/them as well) and could buy both a DXR and matching sub for well below the cost of just the QSC sub alone. Great...as long as the overall quality isn't lacking...which I wouldn't expect in a Yamaha product. The keyboards & drum machines I've owned by them in the past were rock solid.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The K Series are MIC.

6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I have K8 and K10s, also had an RMC HD12A for a bit. None of the cabs in this price range are made in the US. I thought the main difference between K12 and KW122 is plastic vs wood enclosure (and hence KW is a bit heavier). I have no complaints about my K10s - work great as small PA speakers and in a pinch I've used them as small/light bass rigs.

7. GRoberts

GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    me too! I had a tube break one night and didn't have a spare with me. So I pulled out my QSC K10 and played bass directly into it for the rest of the night. Sounded surprisingly good! ...and saved my ass!

Otherwise, I love QSC K10's as a small to medium PA for Vocals and acoustic guitar support in my Duo. add a Sub and K10's will handle anything you throw at them!

8. yeah, teh weight savings of going with a pair of K10 or K8 is tempting. On paper at least it looks like they are a viable replacement for the old school 12"/15" woofer plus compression driver. My experience in the past has taught me that the smaller drivers can keep up in mids, but the low mids really suffer.
    However, there are some EV and Yamaha Subs that are pretty darn light and are supposed to give up decent bass.
    the idea of a dual 12" sub (or two 12" subs) mated with a couple K8's or similar is enticing. Imagine fitting 2500 watts of PA in a honda civic backseat?!

9. I already figured that out. Info isn't as clear on the KW122. None of the etailers have pics of the backplate where the "made in..." stuff would be visible.
    Kind of annoying because I might like to see what the input jacks/controls look like on a $1000 PA speaker!

Last time I owned powered PA speakers was back in the grey JBL EON era. I bought one every other paycheck when they were always on sale at GC until I had half a dozen. Sure they did not sound that great, but they set up fast and were lighter than most non powered cabs.

10. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Um, have you tried looking at the photos on the QSC website? :meh:

Same plate amp as the K series. :smug:

11. so, have YOU found a picture of the plate amp on the back of the K122 on the QSC site that shows a "made in"?
    For example this pic from the Sweetwater website.
    All of the pictures I find are blank in that area. I have seen elsewhere that a QSC rep said some stuff is built in USA, some in China. So...it isnt a done deal as you imply.

12. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    None that I have even seen were not MIC, we have a few in our band and I know another band with a bunch, So far all are MIC,, that's all. We just have not run across any that were not. So what? They are great amps and have performed flawlessly, that's all that truly matters, really.

13. Are you talking about the K12 or KW122?
    They are not the same thing.

14. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The RCF powered speakers are the only ones I'd think about if I were looking for powered.

The RCF 312A is cheaper than any of the QSC, Peavey or Mackie stuff in its performance neighborhood.

(If you know where to look)

15. those are considerably less watts than the K or KW series.

16. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    QSC has excellent CS, give them a call and ask. There is a reason the country of origin is PS'ed out.

17. I kind of would rather not get too bogged down in the MIC vs Made In USA debate. But for the benefit of anyone else who is interested;
    What I have seen mentioned elsewhere is that they make the KW series in China for the Asia-Pacific market. That was referenced in a post by a QSC rep in response to an Australian customer. Of course they make the K12 in China for the worldwide market. I have NOT seen it explicitly mentioned anywhere that they do make the KW series in the US for US market. I was kind of hoping for clarification on that, and I generally don't trust most CS people to be factually accurate.

I'm not dead set against MIC gear. My experience has been that MIC stuff is just fine if proper QA is in place. If the KW122 is made in the USA I would dig a bit deeper and get that one over the K12. However if they are both made in the same place I'd rather go with the lighter of the two.
    Though now that I am looking over all my options the KW153 is starting to look more attractive (I'm thinking it may be a better full range box for synth/bass guitar) But then I'd be giving upon one of my goals of lightweight, loud and ruthlessly clean.

18. I have 2 Carvin LM15A self powered. I have used one as a bass rig for practice and small jobs. Once used both It was way too much. Also I grab a Monitor send from mixer and feed it in. 3 channel mixer on back.

19. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    I was just answering your initial question with the information I have at hand, to the best of my knowledge. What 's with the witch hunt? :meh:

20. no witch hunt, just a little annoyed at the snarky
    "have you looked at the manufacturers website (smug)"
    comment.
    It may not have been meant to be snide, but it came across that way.
    It's generally about as helpful as "UTSF" comments.