Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quality for the money

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Matt

Matt

Mar 15, 2004
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Matt and I am brand new here and basically brand new to the bass guitar. I have my dad's old Peavey T-20 FL fretless and a Peavey TKO 65 amp/head combo, I think that's what you would call it.
    My question is basically how good are some of the foreign made electric basses? I've read the KSD Proto J is really a great Korean made bass, but still kind of expensive compared to a Mexican made Fender Jazz. I like 70's rock mainly. I'd like to buy American, but do I really need to when I'm just starting out? My instructor highly recommends starting fretted and I'm thumping the fretless until I can find one.
    Who makes a good foreign made? I can spend $800 or $900, but $400 or $500 sounds better just starting out to me. I've been impulsive before. :confused:
    Thanks for any advice!
    Matt

2. Most MIM Fenders are good for the money. Some are better than others, so play all the ones you are interested in. I'll let someone else elaborate. Welcome to bass, by the way.

3. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    a great deal for the $$ is a used USA Hamer Cruise 4 string with 2Tek bridge fr around $450 to $500... great basses! make sure to get the USA made version though

4. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I would recommend going used. For $500-$700 you could get a nice American Fender or G&L. It all depends on what kind of tone you want to get and your preference on size/shape. I'd personally recommend a G&L L-2000, it has great tonal diversity, is solidly built, and will retain its value in case you ever want to sell it.

5. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    check out Carvin. just recieved mine last week and it is killer for the money I spent. $700. MIM fenders are good. play one because they are ALL different. Welcome to bass. just remember it aint the gear its the chops.... :)
    KEEP THE FUNK ALIVE!!!!!
    who played bass for Kool and the Gang?????

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah, Carvins are good and I also suggest Lakland Skyline. You could get a 55-01 Skyline used for cheap and I think they are better quality than Fenders.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA