1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quality or Quantity of Gigs?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Quality

77 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. Quantity

11 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Carrots

20 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Just throwing this out there....

Obviously, the ideal for many is to have a quantity of quality gigs, but if you had to choose between quality gigs or quantity of gigs, what would you choose? Would you rather do 4 nights at $100 a night, or one that pays $400? Would you rather play once a month to a nice room, with a good crowd or every weekend to a small crowd in dive bars? Would you rather play once a month with a great band of good people, or every weekend with a mediocre band of people you are indifferent towards?

So, if given a choice, quality or quantity?

2. Quality. Especially the part about playing to a big crowd vs a small crowd.

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I prefer quality...but to be honest, I'll take what I can get.

And looking at the poll again, I accidentally chose quantity. :atoz: Damn words that look alike!

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    For me its all about quality. Anyone can go out and play to small crowds in dive bars with mediocre musicians. I refuse to embarrass myself. I would rather play with quality musicians to good crowds at nice venues. These gigs also typically pay more and are more fun to play. I realize that we all must start somewhere and playing dive bars is part of the process but I did that 30 years ago. I am much more selective now.

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I will have to stick with as many small bar gigs at $100.00 a man during the month.

The premise of 1 cool high paying gig per month is not enough gigging for me.

My answer is quantity.

Blue

6. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Quality. If we suck or have that "cut corners take the easy way" sound of a lot of cover bands, that takes a toll on my heath. I've been fortunate to play with good players.

With a couple of exceptions, $100 gigs are all I've done, a couple less than that.

7. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    We have many good bands with great musicians in Milwaukee that can't get consistent small bar gigs. So I'm not sure it's something anyone can do. And none of them have anything to be embarrassed about.

Blue

8. dbnet03

dbnet03

Jan 1, 2010
    Quality over quantity.

9. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    hmm i could do 4x the work for the same pay? where do i sign up? :D

actually i'd take the 1 $400 gig. who knows, maybe i'd pick something else up on one of the other 3 nights.

10. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I'm not a great player, but if I was I'd be picky, so quality. As it is, I prefer to find people who are at my level or better, ability wise. Personality, I don't care as long as they're not excessively rude or dull.

11. Exactly my sentiments..............

That is how my band operates. The only time we even take a "bar gig" is if it is during an event like bike week.

Why play for 4 hours for peanuts when you can play a festival or open for a national and make more.

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Quality.

13. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Because it's not a real life option for many bands.

My band plays Summerfest and all the major fairs and festivals plus lake cruise gigs. However, me, I love playing small dive bars that are packed.

I prefer small bars to the large shows we do. I love the intimacy of the small bar atmosphere. We are blessed with a following of folks that love live music and actually listen.

Blue

14. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Quality. Travel, set-up and teardown is a mutha so I want every possible dime I can get every time I have to do it.

Now the flip side to that is, 1 or 2 gigs a month even at big money isn't gonna feed the bulldog for me as far as keeping my chops up and feeding my jones to play.

So I guess the optimal solution is to play less frequent, high-quality gigs... in multiple bands. :smug:

15. I voted quality, but after reading what was written in the OP I should change it to carrots...

Most shows I play are once every month or two for little to no money at dive bars. Haha.

//edit
    As far as the second part, I'd rather play with people that are into the music we're writing and are good at what they do. No need for virtuosos in my musical endeavors. As long as we're into writing the same sort of music, can hang out and drink beers, and can practice once a week, I'm good.

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Well, since ya put it that way...

Quality. All the way...

MM

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Quality, every time.

Surprise.

18. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Quality gigs around here are so far and few between that if you want to play at all it's going to have to be quatity in the small bars and dives.

19. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Both, because most often it is possible.
    Casual relaxed gig with covers band twice a week, and twice a month big gig with originals band. Why? Because regular playing gets you in shape, and those rarer quality gigs keep you motivated.
    And money should really be lower on your list, I've found out that it can be bad motivator and very misleading.

20. Deedubs

Deedubs

Mar 5, 2012
    What if your dive bar gigs are with people you enjoy playing with, and not "small crowds" per say? If you go along with the op's sinerio, then you have to pick quality. I did. But I guess I should have picked carrots. Not that having a nice big venue "quality" gig from time to time wouldn't be nice!......so carrots ;)