Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about action...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matclip, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Matclip

Matclip

Mar 1, 2004
    Texas
    I recently bought a MusicMan Stingray 4 from Guitar Center and wasn't happy with the action. I went through the Gary Willis manual and got all the buzzes and everything out but the action is just a bit too high for my comfort. I don't mind sacrificing a little comfort but I was just curious if there is any way to get it lower without all the buzzing. Can adjusting the neck a little give me some room for lower action? By the way, I'd prefer attempting this on my own instead of paying for it to be done so if you know of any ways that I can personally do this, please let me know. If not I guess I'll have to fork out the cash. Thanks. :D

2. Is your neck straight with the tiniest bit of releif? that is how I set my basses up and they have lovely low action.

3. Without actually seeing it, it is difficult to say for sure but often you have to have the frets levelled if you want ultra low action. If you've followed the Willis guide and you still have buzz with the action as low as you want it, you might be to that point.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Have you tried lowering the bridge a bit? I usually go 1/2 a turn at a time on all the height adjusters (assuming it was already correct). Then retune and see if buzzing is a problem. Note that you might have to put up with a bit of buzzing for a really low action and you will need a light touch.

5. Matclip

Matclip

Mar 1, 2004
    Texas
    Thanks for the replies, I believe I just need the frets leveled. Oh and another thing is when I play the 7th and 9th fret on the g string it causes the a and d strings to vibrate a bit, I wasn't sure if this was normal since my other basses never did it.