question about basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by calebplaysbass, Oct 22, 2005.

1. well i'm in the market for a high end bass and there's just so much to choose from i'm not sure what hype i should believe and what i shouldn't.

i am looking for a very versatile bass. i mostly play rock type stuff that requires a lot of fingerstyle tone with some growl to it although i do occasionaly play some stuff where i either need a soft round sound or a slap and pop sound. what kind of bass should i look into? i've looked at an MTD USA model or one of the Modulus Genesis models with the wood neck with graphite reinforcement. anything else i should maybe consider?
  2. G&L L2500 has very hot output and agressive tone. It can do the job!
  3. Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Well since there ARE so many in the high end range I'd eliminate some first, then see what you have. Also keep in mind the old standbys like Fender, Musicman, G&L, and Warwick etc.
  4. Fruity

Sep 18, 2005
    UK, Scotland
    Fender jazz basses are versatile, if you could afford the MIA model, thats a fantastic bass. Try out the deluxe abd standards and see what u prefer.
  5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    If you like Jazz style basses you couldn't do any worse then a Sadowsky or Lakland. They make a variety of very versatile high quality basses. You probably need to describe your style a little more, maybe some players whose sound you like. Their seem to be two types of high end basses, "Hi-Fi" like MTD, Fodera, Ken Smith, Modulus, and Traditional like Lakland, Sadowsky. Then their are the "tweeners" like F- Bass, Jerry Drzod, Skjold and some high end Warwicks. They are all excellent basses depending on your taste and style.
  6. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I think that for what you want, a Modulus Quantum bass might fit the bill. That, or of course, a nice MIA Fender Jazz. I say go with the bass that not everyone has... but thats just me. I guess every bassist needs to have ol' reliable in their collection at some point in time.. so a Fender isnt a bad idea.

Personally Im in the same situation as you, and am considering a Modulus. But Im also on the lookout for something more boutique-ish and less money. Stay on the prowl!
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I know I'm predictable, but I vote Dingwall, yet again.

Do a search and see what people say about 'em.
  8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Well, I've never been impressed by either, but I had assumed there MUST be worse ones SOMEWHERE.
  9. thanks for the info...i think right now i'm leaning toward that modulus but i think i got some stuff to check out now. oh and i really don't wanna go with fender cause EVERYONE has a fender...unless i was able to find a '62 jazz...
  10. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    yea EVERYONE has a fender.. yet I still will never give up mine.. and will also be buying a few more. btw.. I hate to say it but whatever car you drive .. thousands drive it too.. you may have to sell it... oh yea.. and your amp? I'm sure hundreds of people have it.. looks like ur in the market for an acoustic non-fender bass. Wait! Thousands play bass!!! Look's like u'll be hitting up the didgeridoo (sp).. so what how many people have a fender?! They're great guitars! get over it.
  11. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    BTW to my knowledge Mike T helped design the Genesis too... But my MTD and my F Bass are the two favorite basses I've ever encountered so far...
  12. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Alembic is another "boutique" bass you might want to look at. I'd go the used route, though ... they're more expensive than drugs. :D Alembics also have unique electronics - instead of your standard passive or active set up (passive tone roll off or active boost-cut) they use low pass filters, kind of like having a wah-wah pedal built into your bass. If you've ever played through a wah-wah and held the pedal at certain points, you'll get what I mean. They can be very versatile, but they certainly aren't everyone's cup of tea. I'd strongly recommend trying one if possible due to the expense. You will find, however, that the quality and workmanship is second to none - you truly get what you pay for.

If you want to go the less expensive route (if there is such a thing as an inexpensive bass these days!), the Musicman Bongo is awesome. I have one (as well as my Alembics, Fenders, Gibsons, Ricks, Peavey, Pedulla, pre-Ernie Ball Stingray, etc.), and for the money it's simply awesome. It's looks, however, aren't for everyone (many here have commented that it looks like a toilet seat, and they'd be right). If you can get past the looks, you'll be richly rewarded, particularly given the price point.

Good luck,