1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about DI/EQ pedal

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by andyjanson, Oct 28, 2013.

1. andyjanson

andyjanson

Oct 28, 2013
    Hi guys, new here and new to bass actually. I've played guitar for 13 years, but tomorrow I have my first gig playing bass in my band.

Yesterday as a birthday present I got one of these: http://ashdownmusic.com/products/6/Pedals/9/Ashdown-Pedals/69/12-Band-Graphic-DI-/ and I'm not exactly sure what it does! I'm sort of familiar with the concept of DI, about converting the unbalanced connection into a balanced one for connecting to a PA, so is this pedal essentially a 'replacement' for an amp/cab set up at a gig? Would I take this along with my bass to a gig, and plug directly into the PA system and use the 12 band EQ for tone shaping? I'm also guessing it can be used as a standard EQ in front of a traditional amp set up.

Apologies if this is the most obvious thing ever, but you have to understand as a guitarist, the thought of plugging straight into the PA with just an EQ is truly terrifying!

Thanks guys

2. Hi Andy, welcome to TB.

Yeah, itÂ’s a DI with an EQ and its used to connect a bass to a PA with some tone shaping.

3. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Welcome to the low end!

One of the most frustrating and yet liberating aspects of being a bass player is the difference in needs compared to guitarists; many, if not most, basses sound excellent from a d.i, whereas guitars typically sound harsh and awful.. basses do also sound great with a mic'd cab, but unless there's sincere tubage, and unless the cab is worth its salt, d.i. will usually be an equal-or-bettter choice ...

As far as the eq goes, be CAREFUL.. there's a few caveats:
    1) for whatever reason a lot of Equalization setups for basses are not completely flat when set at 'neutral'... may not be the case with EQ pedals, but be wary
    2) especially as you are still trying to figure out our little deep dark world, be really conservative with your eq choices.. adding or taking away highs will do plenty to control the nature of yhe sound and your own comfort with the mix/monitors.. affecting the bass and mid frequencies can do alot of things, unfortunately including changing your overall gain to the house, or besides creating wierd humps in the sound that make you boomy or quacky etc.. for your upcoming gig I would try to run as flat as possible and allow the sound engineer shape your sound for better or worse.. after you get some personal time with the pedal you can really establish what your sound is that you like.. and once youre there youll probably never take any of the sliders above say 3 or so

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Bass develops quite far from the cabinet. so get about as far away from it as possible and hear more of what everyone else is hearing. Do not go for what we call the bed room tone. Big bass and treble, no mids. You'll be lost in the band context - in most rooms. The room is the big variable for us, moreso than for guitarists...

If you are really interested in how this all works out front in the room -and you should be - get a wireless. Doesn't have to be an amazing expensive one. I use an old $100 line 6 xdr... Hearing the sound check out front can make your tone in the room! Once done with that check, I generally go back to cable.

5. andyjanson

andyjanson

Oct 28, 2013
    Thanks guys, cleared a lot up. Have to say I'm loving bass so far, and though guitar will always be my first love, in a band context I'm finding I much prefer playing bass!

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    welcome to the dark side :)