1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about EP

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Reveck, Oct 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Reveck

Reveck

Jul 6, 2017
    Hey guys!
    At first i want to appologise for any mistake here, English isn't my first langauge. Let's get to the point though.

I'm in the band and we want to release EP to get some attention and maybe money for better equipment (Most importantlly new mixer, acoustic drums and new guitar for our singer)
    In my opinion, as it is our first "show-off" we should stick our best tracks into EP, but our singer things it's best to put worse ones and save the best for album.
    What do you think about it?
    Have a great day!

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    1. It's tough for anyone to make money selling their tracks - good luck.
    2. At least here, more people are buying single songs than albums.
    3. Unless the EP is a big seller, you won't get the chance to record the album.
    4. If you can't keep writing and recording good songs, it doesn't matter.

Put out your best songs now. Write even better songs later.

RSBBass, Nashrakh, 10cc and 2 others like this.
  3. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I'm with you. It doesn't make sense to put the worst stuff on ANY EP or album. If you sound bad on the ep, why would they but it, or the album? Tell the singer to stop talking and listen to you. Or just write better songs, so there is no bad material to put out.

Nashrakh and Reveck like this.
  4. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    S. Texas Hill Country
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Put your best songs on the EP. Trade the EP for email addresses-either at shows or online. Use the email list to get folks to your shows. Play GREAT shows. Write more songs. Wash. Rinse. Repeat... Save up for equipment or buy it on time.

5. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 14, 2011
    Sales Development Manager NN Inc. - Polymet, USA manufacturer of fret wire
    Put out your absolute best as a single first and give it away to start.
    Then put that same single on EP with the next best 3 or 4 songs.
    Charge for that and see where it goes.

Experience says you will have trouble making enough to buy much with a first compilation. Purpose is to get your music out there and get a fan base developed.

6. +100

7. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Hard to make money selling music, but if you do then sweet.

Put your best songs on the EP. Hell, maybe not do an album at all and just EP's. Based on how music is now consumed, an album might be more than it's worth. Singles and EP's all the way.

Reveck likes this.
  8. Reveck

Reveck

Jul 6, 2017
    Thanks a lot guys! I will try to talk to the singer again, maybe show him your comments. As of money - I know we won't get much, we played a gig or two and got like 50$ each for three of us. I'll also will ave to tell him to stop putting so much effects on everything cause I'm sick of hearing 4 pedals at a time xD
    You're great guys, thanks a lot!

9. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Lets release an EP but only with bad songs. :confused:

:dead:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017