1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

question about etude...

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by tbassist4, Aug 24, 2007.

1. I have an college orchestra audition on Tuesday that was actually sprung on me a little bit, so I've been frantically preparing for it, and I have a question that could save me a lot of time and stress.

I need to play either an etude or solo for the audition in addition to excerpts from the pieces that we would be playing. I thought I only had the option to play an etude, so I rush ordered the Kreutzer and Storch-Hrabe books. I looked on the audition sheet and apparently a etude OR solo will suffice.

I've been working on the 4th movement of Eccles and can by that time have it at a fairly impressive speed and still be able to play it well. Would the 4th movement of Eccles be considered around the same level as the etudes from those books? Should I get an etude together or would this last movement of Eccles work?

2. Bubbabass

Bubbabass

May 5, 2004
    SOMD/DC/VA
    If it's coming up on Tuesday, stick with the Eccles. Nail the excerpts.

3. Ben Joella

Ben Joella Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    You may want to practice the eccles at a slightly slower tempo than you are currently satisfied with. Your nerves will quite possibly make up the difference when you go to audition. Good Luck!

4. Thanks very much for the tip! I completely forgot about that, I'll be nervous enough with the excerpts...Sibelius' Symphony No. 1 with sixteenth notes at quarter note = 152 BPM is quite fast for me...