1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Geddy Lee MIM Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Prie68, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Prie68

Prie68

Feb 3, 2016
    Hi all. This is my first post. I've read a lot of older posts about this bass and have mixed feelings on the subject. I'm wanting to pull the trigger on the GL MIM Jazz bass but it seems that a lot of people think that the passive pickups are a sound killing issue. I played one a friend just got and loved it, but it was played through a little POS practice amp and can't judge it's true sound by that. I play in a cover band (rock and dunk mostly) and am looking for a deep growl sound for the rock. Will this bass do it or should I keep looking? Thanks for your help.

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think all the Geddy's, MIM included, have good sounding pickups. They're just not as scooped and therefore distinctive as some of the other choices out there. The pickups respond better to an aggressive playing style and some OD. It's a good bass at a good price. If the pickups aren't you're thing then it's an easy thing to swap out. Some people say it's not a real jazz bass until you've swapped the pickups at least once....

3. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    I've got a CIJ Geddy and the pups are fine.
    Neck pup full on, bridge pup80%. Growling and barking all day long.

4. Prie68

Prie68

Feb 3, 2016
    Also $899 (Sweetwater price) is there a difference between that and a regular Jazz besides Geddy's name stamped on the back?

5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

There are a number of differences. Structurally speaking, you have the much-vaunted "'70s pickup spacing", which gives it a sound that distinguishes it from the Standard Jazz, plus the neck is considerably thinner, front to back. Also, as someone who once owned a Fender "Classic '70s Jazz", which shares the same body (and possibly electronics) as the MIM Geddy, the fit, finish and detailing (e.g.: bound & blocked necks) are indicative of the extra care and workmanship put into them.

Put simply, they are the Cream of the MIM Crop. :thumbsup:

Prie68 likes this.
  6. gsgbass

gsgbass "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

The MIM GL is a fine bass, and well made. The pups are good too. I think on that bass, it's a bit more sensitive for what amp it get's run through.

Prie68 likes this.
  7. Prie68

Prie68

Feb 3, 2016
    Thanks for the input. Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and order one. Plus the SW rep is giving me a deal on a hard case for it.

gsgbass and Malak the Mad like this.
  8. gary ashall 1970

gary ashall 1970

Dec 10, 2015
    have one of the first mexican geddy lee jazz basses so it still carries the leo quan badass bridge. it sounds just the same as my friends made in japan geddy lee. the finish on my mex model is flawless,its like glass and the neck is good with frets being perfect. i dropped the action a little and done the intonation but other than that i have had to do nothing to it. its my main bass now.