1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about getting a new bass please help!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacobw82, Mar 8, 2010.

1. jacobw82

jacobw82

Feb 1, 2008
    Ok so I have a Ibanez SR500 bass. It fits me pretty good and I bought it used for $275 last year. I have owned a pedulla mvp bass black and silver and I loved it. Had to sell it 3 years ago due to money issues. Anyways now that is all taken care of I would like to get everyones opinion on what bass may be best suited for me. I have smalled hands and just don't like the feel of the six and sometimes five stringed basses. So I am just trying to get an idea of what basses are a considerable step up in quality, tone etc... from my sr500. I would probably buy used and my price range is going to be $900-$1400. I would obviously prefer a used pedulla but living in K.C., Mo. I rarely see one for sale. I was wondering what other basses if not the pedulla I could maybe afford used and that has a thinner neck for my smaller hands. I can't really play the fenders too well so something smaller. Anyways I am rambling but if you have any suggestions on what you like I am open to listen. I have been playing since I was in 8th grade. I am 27 now. Honestly I regret ever selling the pedulla but if there are any other models you think are definitely a step or 2 up from my sr 500 ibanez please let me know.

Thank you!!

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Never played an Ibenez bass. I am pro Fender. Trouble is a Fender sounds like a Fender, it cuts through like a freight train. I just got a Road worn P bass and an Amer. V. . I guess as a second or 3rd bass an Ibenez would be great but for long distance traveling, I prefer Fenders.
    I had a circa 1976 Jazz Bass that had a super thin neck, some liked it and some didnt. Small hands or not you'd be surprised how you could adjust to a Fender.....
    good luck.....................:cool:

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Well, you've got a nice price range there for used gear. Good thinking buying used too, you'll save a ton of money.

I'm a Fender guy, so I'd recommend maybe a MIA Fender Jazz bass or a 62 AV Reissue. Those are fantastic basses. Although, I have smaller hands and love the sound of my P bass...

On the "Ibanez" side of things, have you checked out Warwicks? They have chunkier necks, but I think they sound incredible recorded and live.

Go to some music stores and try to play what you can and see what works best for you.

4. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    The one bass I ever regret selling: 62 AV Reissue Precision.

5. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    if you aren't going to get one used, then just go to local stores and pick up one that feels best.

If you are fine with used and getting one over the internet, like i do all the time, then you should definitely be able to snag a mvp for that price range. Just don't wait when you see one, good deals go quick and whenever I am offering a good deal, people expect to be able to ponder and ask questions for a week or so and then are pouting when it's gone.

Just saying, you can make it happen, you just gotta stick to finding the right mvp, and when it happens, get it. I am sure within a month it could be done if you are ready.

6. jacobw82

jacobw82

Feb 1, 2008
    Thanks guys!. I think I am just going to wait till a used pedulla comes around. Until then I'll stick to my sr it plays very very easy.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020