1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about Hofner Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by newbassdude, Apr 7, 2009.

1. newbassdude

newbassdude

Apr 7, 2009
    I have been playing piano for about 10 years now, but when it comes to basses I am completely new. I was looking to invest some money into one of the Hofner replicas to self-teach myself the bass. I have been doing some research and reading reviews, and I'm stuck between two of them:

Hofner Icon Series Vintage Violin Bass
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hofner-Icon-Series-Vintage-Violin-Bass?sku=511788

and

Hofner Icon B Electric Bass
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOFICONBB

The prices appear to be pretty close, but what is the difference between the two? Any comments would be helpful, Thanks!

2. I think these are the same bass.

3. newbassdude

newbassdude

Apr 7, 2009
    Ha really? well i guess that helps thanks

4. The list prices are different but all the specs appear to be the same so I am going to guess there is no difference. If you pick one up make sure to post your thoughts. I just got a Contemporary Club bass that I really like alot.

5. newbassdude

newbassdude

Apr 7, 2009
    alright, thanks. i was planning to order it today or tomorrow. i'll post how i like it when it arrives (if i remember :))

6. Look closely...the Icon from zzounds includes a case. Usually a case goes for around 75, which is just about the difference between the 2 retailers prices.

As a former owner of a 500-1 (German) Hofner, I'd suggest you check out the contemporary series, if you can afford it. I've checked out both the imports, and the contemporary is a much closer copy of the original than the Icon. In fact, with the exception of the tone knobs, you'd be seriously challenged to tell the difference between the contemporary and the German version, looks-wise. As far as tone, well, they're short scale...and very boomy sounding...all of 'em.