1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about my bass- tuning peg is "backwards"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMeower, May 24, 2018.

1. BassMeower

BassMeower

May 24, 2018
    Hi- new here.

A few people have commented on my "backwards" tuning peg on my Jay Turser bass. I've attached a photo. The D string tuning peg turns the opposite direction from the G. Any insights? I'm struggling to find a photo of what it is supposed to look like. IMG_1526.JPG IMG_1528 (1).JPG Photos attached...

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this post is in the wrong place.

Attached Files:

ELynx likes this.
  2. BassMeower

BassMeower

May 24, 2018
    On closer inspection, it looks like the D peg should be on the opposite side of the headstock. Which seems strange to me.

3. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Judging on where the hole for it is drilled, it looks like it should/has to be right where it is. IOW, this was intentional.

Yeah it looks a little unusual, but that's how it was designed.

mcnach and gebass6 like this.
  4. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Your D-string is incorrectly wound.

In the first photo, you can see that the D-string angles to the right, from the string tree to the right side of the tuning machine.

Run the string straight up from the string tree to the left side of the tuning machine (matching the G-string), and they will turn in the same direction.

5. This is a Musicman style bass right?

I could be wrong here, but I think I remember reading before that it was an intentional move by Jay Turser to make their headstock different than the Musicman Stingray headstock.

I also seem to remember people flipping that tuner around or replacing that tuner so that the tuner is on the other side of the headstock.

I’m sure someone else will know more. It’s a bit hazy for me.

bassopotamus102 likes this.
  6. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Bingo. Although, holding a piece of paper up to the screen, it looks like the string will not clear the center post of the string tree. Strange.

- John

7. Yep. The string should pull straight back from the tuner not on an angle.

8. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    This.

jamro217 likes this.
  9. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Yet a straight line from the nut slot to the left side of the tuner passes right through the screw of the string tree. So it won't be straight that way, either.

mcnach, RBrownBass and baTassi like this.
  10. BassMeower

BassMeower

May 24, 2018
    Thanks... I’ve had the strings replaced a few times in the past few years and it is always ends up in this configuration. And it came "new" this way (was supposedly never played, in original box, when I bought it)

I wasn't sure of the model but it appears is the Musicman one and on a google search, this is what I find for headstock appearance...

Attached Files:

11. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I’ve seen Turners with this 2x2 tuner configuration and 3x2 fives, as well. Odd, they are. For the D to turn like the G, the strings need to be on the same side of the posts — that is, on the upper side.

12. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    Yep, THIS.
    Alternatively, turn the D string tuner around and remount it as a 3+1 scenario. :roflmao:

JK. You actually need a new tuner from a 4 on a side set. Looks like someone at the factory grabbed a part from the wrong bin and put 2 G string tuners on. Get the right style tuner and it looks to be a clean retrofit...that is to say, it will use the same screw holes

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  13. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    Must be a "Friday" or a "Monday" bass!! :roflmao:

(ask an auto worker.....they'll explain!)

14. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    String isn't wound the same direction as the G string. Make sure the string goes down the left side of the tuning peg, the same way it is on the G string.

Maybe it was supposed to be a 3+1 layout, but someone put a G tuner to make it a 2+2. If that's the case, then you've got a pretty unique bass there.

15. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    its not right, but it probably still plays the same.

16. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Man, I’m looking at all of these photos and not liking anything about them.. my OCD is in full swing :bag:

VoodooJazz, Sixgunn, zenrad and 2 others like this.
  17. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Yes - I think it is a tuner from the wrong side - not easy to tell by looking. The tuners are NOT the same in a 2+ 2 setup - they are reversed on the other side.

18. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Just string it like this, it'll be fine... and will tune up like a normal "2+2" headstock.
    2=2.

I have seen headstocks with WAY LESS "Straight-string-pull" than that, and they have been perfectly functional :)

Helix, jamro217, SpyderX and 5 others like this.
  19. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    He doesn't have to buy another tuner. That tuner disassembles and can be used for bass or treble side. But the strings won't line up no matter what he does unless he goes thru the trouble of plugging and drilling a new hole for the D tuner. Notice how the D tuner is farther away from the bass edge of the headstock than the E and A tuners? That's not supposed to happen. I bet Jay Turser did it this way to avoid a lawsuit from you know who...

EDIT: OP, the bass will work fine no matter which side you choose to put the string on or the tuner on. If it's functioning properly now, I'd leave it as is. The hole locations are not gonna let it look "accurate", to be kind, no matter what you do.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  20. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    It is just peg reversed.
    Take off D tuner and flip over the peg at the other side and you are fine.