Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about P.A.s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fatjbass, May 31, 2004.

1. fatjbass

fatjbass

May 29, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Hey,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but this will work I guess. My band just bought a P.A. and we were playing around with it today. My amp just has a chord that goes from the head to the speaker, but I want to use it so I can hear my self more. They way it's going down now is that the head is going straight into the P.A. and like I said, I'd like to hear some from my amp. What can I do so I can be put into the mixing console and my speaker in my amp?

Thanks,
    Kyle

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What kind of amp? It's unusual that you'd have a send for the PA that cuts the speaker output. If you have an effects send, you should be able to go to the PA with that without killing your amp's output. Otherwise, you should get something like a SABDDI, Radial, Countryman or other DI that has two outputs. Plug your bass into the DI, send one output to the input of your amp and the other to the PA.

3. fatjbass

fatjbass

May 29, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    It's a Peavy TNT 100. It's pretty old from what I know. Also, it gets a really fuzzy sound when I play it not over the P.A.... Maybe I'll post that. I don't use any effects when I play. I keep it simple. So I'll probably try one of those boxes... (can't remember the name at the moment) that you plug into and it goes into your amp, but it also sends to the P.A. directly. If anyone knows the name and the price range, that would be great.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There's a bunch of them. A Countryman Type 85 is one of the simplest, with very clean sound. A SABDDI will work to, and give you some control over your tone at the same time. Radial and Raven Labs make several models that will do what you want. These brands run in the $150 to $250 range, street. I suppose you could find a Behringer something-or-other that would work, but don't ever tell anyone I used that word.

5. Even ancient Peavey's have a "line out". That shouldn't cut out your sound from the speaker out.

If the amp sounds fuzzy when you plug the speaker into the speaker out, you've got either a) a bad speaker, b) a bad speaker cord, or c) a bad amp. Try a good speaker (a PA speaker will do for a test) and a good speaker cable (you ARE using a speaker cable and not an instrument cable to connect the amp to the speaker, aren't you?).

If it's the amp, it's possibly something as simple as a corroded jack, a potentiometer that needs spraying with cleaner, or a fried output transistor. Output transistors are cheap.