1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

question about pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by b-bottom, Dec 27, 2006.

1. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    I'm building a P/J bass and I'm wondering what kind of pots I should get. It's my understanding that I will need a 500k one for the P pup and a 250K one for the J.But what about the tone and blend pots?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    250K ohm, audio taper all the way around.

3. You can use different pots for different sounds.

IIRC using a 250K pot gives a darker sound than a 500K pot, IIRC that is, it might be the other way round

4. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    so i could just get 250k pots for everything huh.....cool

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep. A Fender P-bass calls for a 250K pot, as well as a Fender Jazz bass. Unless the pickup manufacturer's specs call for something different, this is what I would use.

I do repairs and all I keep around is 250K audio taper pots since I mostly own/work on Fenders. Something else comes in, I'll order the parts.

6. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    looking at a diagram I found on the Seymour duncan site it looks liek I would need a .05 cap on the one pot. is that right?

7. In a lot of P-style basses (mine included), it actually uses 500K pots for the tone. I have no idea what the value is on the volume, but that's what I measured on my tone and what others have measured in theirs. I mean, just for comparison, my Peavey with J-style pups uses 250K pots all round.

8. yep for tone control

9. pjwalsh

pjwalsh

May 3, 2006
    Elkton, Md
    Either 250K or 500K are the usual values - you can look at the schematics on the fender website they give both the pot and cap values for the different fender models

<http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/index.php>

As far as sound goes I like the 250K pot and a 0.047 uF tone cap. The tone circuit is nothing more than a simple low pass filter - given a cap value a 500K pot will attenuate at lower frequencies than the 250K pot.

10. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN

I have no idea what any of that stuff means but thanks anyway :)
    This is the first time I've ever tried to build a bass so as of now I'm just going off of the diagrams that I can find online. I'm sure i'll be back here to ask a lot more questions though

11. www.basspartsresource.com

Has wiring kits that include everything you need for your wiring. Their prices are decent and they have excellent service. It might be easier to get one of their kits that has pots, caps, input jack and wire.

[​IMG]

12. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    I was looking at those but I can't find one that is for a P/J bass. They seem to be for either one or the other

13. Modulrob

Modulrob

Jan 8, 2003
    A 500K tone pot will allow more high frequencies to pass through. If you play roundwound strings and like sizzle, I'd use those. If you are one who often prefers to turn the tone control down to remove treble, I'd go with the 250K.

14. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    b-bottom,

Wherever you buy the kits will probably all be marked for either P-bass of J-bass. If you are really stumped take the bass in to a local tech and they will pull the pieces off the shelf to get you exactly what you need.

Meanwhile...

For a P/J bass you want Volume/Volume/Tone, right? Get a J-bass set, it will have everything you need.

If you want to use a selector switch with one volume and one tone, get a Standard Wiring Kit for Telecaster. (basspartsresource.com)

Want to get wild and do Volume/Volume/Tone/Tone? Get two P-bass kits.

Oh, and read this: CLICK HERE FOR THE STEWMAC GUIDE TO PICKUP WIRING

15. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN