1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about recording with a DI

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Mar 3, 2008.

1. So I read through the forums, to make sure I wasn't asking a stupid question. Here's my question: If you are going to record with a DI, can you plug your bass into your amp head, run the amp head through the DI box, and then run it to the speaker? Will that break the DI box? Or rather, could that overload the amp, since a passive DI has unlimited headroom?

2. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm not sure what you're asking, but you definitely don't want a DI between your amp's speaker outputs and your speaker cabinet.

You could put a DI between your bass and your amp, or if your amp has a DI built-in, you can send that to a mixer or recording interface.

3. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    depends... there are DI's that are made for this(most have a switch reading 'instrument' or 'amp') you can use those the way you're describing... others won't be a very good idea...

4. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    and you wouldn't want that why? I used it... worked great...

5. See, that's where there's a grey area. Some people say it's fine, others say it's not.

Also, I have a DI on my amp, I'm sorry. I always think in terms of bass(imagine that). I'm going to be using the DI box on a guitar, but it's a tube amp, so I really want to capture that tone, with out having to mic it, if at all possible.

6. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    click

made for guitar.... and for using between amp/speaker...

I don't have any experience with that one, I used a 'samson' S-DI (I believe) but that H&K is supposed to be pretty good...

7. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    The redbox is specifically designed to take the load from your amp

do not do this with a "DI" unless you know it is equipped to do so, most are not. Also a lot of bass amps put out more load than these devices are set up to handle.

You can go into a DI (like a Radial DI, take one out to your amp input and one out to the XLR input on the console.

That way you will have a better DI signal than what typically comes with an amp, and you can have your cabinet miced and then blend with the DI for house sound or studio tracking..

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Until you get a DI box thats speaker level compatible, you may have the option of connecting the amps line-slave or effects send jack to a DI. (if equipped) It would only be a preamp level signal but you would get more of the amps tone that way and most all DI's Ive used work just fine with line-level signals..
    (a tube amp would still need to be connected to a speaker load while doing so)

9. Cool, I will try that. I know the amp has both of those.

10. Grantrudd

Grantrudd

Jun 26, 2007
    Boston MA
    using protools, you can select the output. if you have the right mixingboard with multichannel outputs, you can plug one of the outputs directly into the amp head. i did this with a hartke kickback combo, and it worked fine. there is no power being sent from the mixing board in most cases, the output from the selected track, so it should be ok.

11. My problem is more that I want to capture the sound of the tube amp, more than being able to still run to a cabinet. That's really useful knowledge though, I had no idea.

12. Just a note, if you do run a speaker level DI, you still need to have a cab hooked up or you could damage your tube amp.