1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about sound cards on your WinXP based machine.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by McHack, May 4, 2006.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I asked this question years ago, but as technology has plodded along, I thought it might be good ask again. I had previously ask, what sound card should you get for recording onto your pc... When I did, the rule was... x, or y, or z.... but NEVER a Creative Sound Blaster. Turtle Beach was what I had at the time. I never did anything with it, but was happy I was ok.

Well, Not too long ago, I bought a new pc, & with it a new sound card. I hadnt done any pc recording, so, i went w/ the gamers choice. Creative Labs Soundblaster X-FI Extreme.

Is there any feedback, regarding the latest SB sound card offering, in relation to recording?

2. any soudcard branded as a "recording soundcard" will outperform any soundblaster or turtlebeach "gaming soundcard". look at models from M-audio, EMU, motu, etc. a search for soundcards at musiciansfriend.com will give you a good starting place.

to answer your next likely question, a PCI or firewire soundcard should be your preferred choice. stay away from USB audio interfaces!!! usb midi interfaces however, work just fine.

to directly answer your question: soundblaster soundcards are not recommended for recording...

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Thx,

I knew in the past, this was the case. But, wondered if this had changed w/ recent tech advances.

4. nope, you can get away with it for a time, as i did. but then i upgraded to an m-audio delta44 and LOTS and LOTS of recording headaches simply vanished. all of a sudden little sync and lag issues were non-existent.

Latency is the buzz word, and it DOES make a difference. The lower the better, and gaming soundcards are just too high, and they probably always will be.

5. Whats wrong with soundblaster? - I had one a while ago and it was pretty good...almost certainly beat the in-built thing I've got on my motherboard now

6. try an actual recording soundcard and youll see. i agree, onboard "soundcards" are even worse! but both are pretty useless for anything other than just taking "notes". Spend some time actually recording on your comp with all 3 setups and you'll see that there are significant differences.