1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Stingray HH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Percussion Guy, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Hello, I currently have a Stingray H and sometimes find myself missing the neck pickup sound of my old Jazz. When I played a J, I often would use mostly neck pickup when I would play country tunes (mainly ballads, where I wanted the warmest sound possible). I love my Ray but it is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum from the J neck pup. My question is in regards to the Ray HH and its ability to provide a warm tome that almost lacks attack. Also, I am a one trick pony kind of person and I would like to know if anyone has done this to their HH:

-added a 3-way toggle to each pup (single, series, parallel)
    -changed the 5-way pickup selector to a 4 way (bridge, neck, series, parallel)

To me this seems like it could yield an instrument with almost limitless tonal possibilities.

Thanks

Disclaimer: I searched and found nothing in regards to my switching questions. I am not an expert in the realm of electric bass (I am actually a music education student and PERCUSSION teacher, bass is for fun).:D

2. Comrade, it looks like you're really need G&L L2000 or L2500, esp. with a single coil mod.

3. boabski2k

boabski2k

Dec 24, 2008
    Scotland
    No attempt at a hijack here.

But i have always wondered what the difference between a stingray H and HH is.

Now i will not be in the position to buy a stingray for a few years until i can do them justice. But I have always had a want for one.

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    H and HH are talking about pickups. A StingRay H is the "real" Ray, IMHO - a single humbucker in the sweet spot. The HH is something new. It looks like a StingRay, but has two humbuckers - one in the sweet spot and one in the neck position. The HH looks (and can sound) like a real Ray, but its really a new model with an old name. The HH is probably superior in tonal flexibility, but if you ask me, that's what technique is for.

5. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Wouldn't it be easier (albeit more costly) to just get an HS Stingray? I don't know how close the tone is but it might work.

6. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    My H/S Sterling gets the warm Jazzy tone of which you speak. That single coil soloed is sweet.

7. Jim, could you possibly post a recording of bridge compared to neck?

Has anyone tried the pickup wiring that I am pondering about?

Thanks

8. rditmars

rditmars

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Sounds like you want a Warwick $$.

9. I'm sure you'd like the HH stingray as is.

The settings are:

Bridge Pickup only
    Inner coil of each pickup
    Both Pickups on full
    Outer coil of each pickup
    Neck Pickup only

The settings using the outer coils give a jazz-ish sound. Love the combination of sounds. And with the bridge pickup only, its the exact sound of the H stingray. win-win :)

Not really an answer to your specific question, but I know i'd never want to change anything with my 'ray. And i do like to tinker with electronics, so it says a lot!