Question about the Dominant Approach.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Feda, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Im working with ed friendlands book, building walking bass lines. This is what he says; The fifth now has a dual function and will be analyzed with two layers of symbols. The top layer will be the primary function, the bottom layer, the secondary function. Notes that have more than one function make the line stronger.

That is all very well, but how do I know what to put on the top layer and what not. How do I really know what the notes primary function is?

Hope you get the question, not even sure I do:)
  2. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    "Building Walking Bass Lines" by Ed Friedland is an excellent book.

Now to your question. The intention is that the note has two functions, but you don't get to decide what the functions are. Lets use F7 as the chord we're walking. The fifth of the chord (C) is a dominant approach if the target is an F. If the target is a D (for whatever reason you choose), the C is still the fifth of the chord but it is no longer a dominant approach but a scale approach.

I wouldn't get too hung up about whether the fifth or the dominant is more important. Just recoginze that tones that have more than one function are stronger than others but not neccessarily better. This will become clearer the more you play walking lines.

I hope this helps.
  3. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    It helps a lot, thanks! I agree that the book is excellent, alot of information packed in an really nice package. And the cd's great as well:)
  4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    While you are working on and thinking about this type of stuff...sometimes there is one note in the chord or scale of the next measure that is not in the chord or scale of the current measure. If you land on that note on the 1 of that next measure, you really announce that something new is happening. So, strong approach notes to that next note may be one note below, one note above, and one fifth above.

I know this. I can work this out. But, I can not do it a sight reading speed.