Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about this Avatar setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by In Flames, May 31, 2004.

1. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    I currently own a 2x10 Avatar cab with a QSC 1450 Power Amp and a BBE BMAX Pre Amp. My question is... I am getting a 5 String bass and I have heard that the Avatar cabs do not handle the Low b very well. If I were to add an Avatar 1x15 to the 2x10 will the B string be heard a lot better or might I want to look into a better 1x15 Cab? If so which would you recommend thats not to expensive. If the Avatar 1x15 will work then I'll stick with that due to the price.

Thanks!

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've got an Avatar B115H, and to my ears-it handles the B pretty well. The B210 should be arriving here later this week [dad bought it for me as an 18th birthday present] and i should be able to do a thorough review of the two of them individually and together. That's all

3. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    Thanks man! Looking forward to hearing the review.

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Ok-here's my quick solo based review, i'll break it down into the different combinations.

Basses used: Ray5-flat on the EQ w/EB Slinky5s, Fender Jazz w/flats-wide open, SansAmp RBI-varied between the book SVT setting and flat-all knobs including blend straight up [except volume of course].

1X15 alone [horn off]
    Sounded good to me-before adding [or playing through any 10s] i thought it had good mids and highs. After playing through the 2X10 alone-i realized it was pretty warm sounding and could handle my low notes pretty well [enough to cause enough other objects to vibrate i couldn't tell if it could take the low B open entirely well or not]. Side performance notes-i've played venues ranging from school gyms w/a loud rock trio [guitarist used a marshall half stack] and had to turn down [i had to turn down]. I played our school auditorium/theater and could throw some good bass at least marginally far out from the middle/back of the stage.

2X10 alone [horn off]-i liked how it sounded w/the ray5 best. It was nice and punchy. Loads of mids/highs. Not sure of how it will sound outside of my bedroom. W/the jazz the finger clack and all that noise came through remarkably bright-made me realize how sloppy my technique on that bass has gotten.

2X10+1X15, this was the best sound. The 15 filled in/added nicely where the 2X10 left off. With the 15-it gave the 2X10 far more warmth and sounded really full to my ears.

Once i get a chance to take this rig out in a band setting, outdoors, etc-i'll try and post here again. That's all for the quick review.

5. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio