1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for 5 string players?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Milk_Steak, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Milk_Steak

Milk_Steak

Oct 23, 2011
    do you prefer to play lower on the neck closer to the nut on the E string for your root or do your play the root higher up on your B string I know its a tonal choice, preference and opinion but which do you choose?

2. Mirios

Mirios

Dec 29, 2010
    Boise, Idaho
    I am comfortable in many positions. Really depends on what I am doing but I do not prefer one over the other, I use both. For really repetitive songs I've been known to do both. Just to cut back on the boredom. That is if it doesn't adversely effect the song some how.

3. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Depends on tuning and what I'm doing in the song. I tune B, D, A, D, G 99% of the time and I like the tone of the second fret E on the E string. If youÂ’re standard it will ring more and be a little louder as an open string note. Good for chorus and build ups. Nice laid back verse the B string E is mellow and won't stand out as much. I see it as a pallet of colors the same note in different positions on the neck. Up on the B presents efficiency of movement most times as well.

4. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Of course it's not an absolute rule, folks...

...resist the urge to have the definitive answer.

I LOVE the shorter scale notes 5 frets up and a string down.

I can play big and fuzzy and fat all day up there and drop down the neck to drop big bombs.

That being said, I so often forget about playing open strings as I would on a 4 string that I should probably hold off with the fatman basslines sometimes.

5. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Really depends on what Im playing. Sometimes I like the notes on the B string..sometimes on the E.

6. F Clef Groovist

F Clef Groovist

Dec 27, 2011
    This more than likely has a lot to do with my bad bass, but i defenitly prefer playing in as low of position as possible on the E when it comes to things like that. I think the tone rings out a lot better than playing on fret 5 B, and cuts in the mix more, but again just my bass more than likely. I also prefer this because I play both 4 strings and 5 strings interchanglably very often. This makes it easier to pick up a 4 string. The only time I ever root my hand on the E on the B string is if I'm playing some lick that invlolves all 5 strings in one position. Also, playing with an open E allows for an open string obviously. I can play a lot cooler licks when i have open notes in the key signature, especially when i have the tonic as an open string.