Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Ampeg Experts...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dustinvavak, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Dustinvavak

Dustinvavak

Jan 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    Outside of calling in the serial number in on my 810E is there a way to get an idea of the manufacturing date for your cab? Mine is pretty old, but I don't know how old. Someone once told me he thought it was a '74 but I have no idea how accurate that statemeant might have been.

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    a '74 SVT 810 cab had a "square" back & no "towel bar". It also had a removable 4 wheel dolly for transport, not the 2 built in kickback type wheels like on the newer models. The original speakers would have been cts/eminence with square Alicno magnets. The grill cloth was silver, similar to the new "AV" model cabs. The input on mine is a single 1/4", but I believe stock was a 3 pin type.

But if your cab states somewhere on it that it is an 810 "E", than its an "newer" cab.

3. ricplyrz

ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005

*...I thought the square mags were the Altec upgrade?

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    They changed Serial #'s when SLM took over, E-mail Ampeg CS. They can tell you.

5. There was NO "Altec upgrade" for the SVT. CTS was famous for having square magnets, and the Eminence models that replaced them were clones of them.

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The bluemuse info is accurate for the portions I can verify.

7. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Square mags should have been CTS.. Also it would have been a 4 connector XLR type if there is an XLR.. 2 pins for signal and 2 pinss to complete the circuit that would turn the amp into standby if the cable became unplugged by accident so as not to fry the amp.. Although I am not 100% on this but I beleive the 1974 ish only had a 1/4" jack.. the older 1969-1970s had the 4 pin XLR and the head would have had 6146 tubes instead of the 6550s.

8. ricplyrz

ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005

Thank you. I did not know that. Did other Ampeg bottoms like the 2 15' v4b bottoms have Altecs?