Question for member "Bass 45" (Or anyone else!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shawntastic, Nov 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Shawntastic

Shawntastic

Aug 29, 2016
    I'm about to purchase an Ampeg Portaflex cabinet. Either the PF-210E or PF-115E.

My question is to anyone who may have experienced both cabs.
    - What, if any, would you say are the main differences in sound quality between these two cabinets?

I'm about to finally pull the trigger on a flip-top small cab, but as I've never heard either one, I have no idea which i would prefer.

One thing is, I have owned a SVT-4 Pro with a 410hlf for many years and have always loved it. I'm not particular about having 10 inch speakers, it just happens to sound great.

What I do want, is the portability of the smaller cab and head to take to jam sessions. But, what does the single 15 inch sound like compared to the 2X10's?

Thanks to all!
    Stay funky bros!
    Shawna

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I have no experience with the 210, but I’ve used the PF-115 with good results in country, soul and rock settings (with the PF-500) and usually a Fender p-bass. No complaints here.

3. Shawntastic

Shawntastic

Aug 29, 2016
    Sweet! Thanks!

DirtDog likes this.
  4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  5. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    I’ve had both, sold the 210 and kept the 115. The 210 sounded good, but farted out too much for my liking. The 115 to me just sounded better and did not fart out like the 210.

rllefebv likes this.
  6. Shawntastic

Shawntastic

Aug 29, 2016
    @twinfallsbass
    Thanks a lot for your input!
    Sweetwater told me on the phone yesterday that the 2X10 was the way to go. He basically said he hadn't had very good luck with 15 inch speakers overall. But, of course, that's just one person's opinion, which I asked for.

Which cab "sounds better" is of course a matter of opinion and taste. That's why I'm asking the more difficult question of what are the sound differences between the two?
    Again, thanks to all who respond!

7. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Your most welcome. What is Sweetwaters return policy? If they pay for return shipping, maybe you can buy both and return the one you dislike.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

As mentioned, the 210 farts out very easily. Get the 115.

9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    IMO you need to get out and listen to a wider range of amps and cabs before you come up with a short-list.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022