1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for Mesa head users....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fearlessdane, May 2, 2006.

1. fearlessdane

fearlessdane

Aug 29, 2005
    Portland, OR. Los Angeles, CA.
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg, Fender, Ernie Ball
    My band is soon to start on a full U.S. tour and I need a back up head. I primarily use an Ampeg SVT 5-Pro, but the band is fully sponsored by Mesa, so I need to pick a head from the Mesa line. My problem is that I have absolutely NO experience with Mesa heads, so I was wondering which of their bass heads is the absolute meanest and most powerful? The cost is obviously not an issue. (The closest one that can compare to an Amped SVT 5 Pro)

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Big Block 750, Big Block V12, or Mesa 400+ if you want to try an all tube thing.

3. That's pretty cool! So what type of music you guys play? What is it you like about the svt-5. I like a few of the mesa amps like the d-180, 400, 400+, m-pulse, big block 750, m-2000, and walkabout, o.k. I like all of there amps:D

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Go Bigblock V12 and in no way will you use your Ampeg. Go 400+ and you'll use your Ampeg for backup when your tubes crack.

... widdly :).

5. the bigblock v12 will kill most things in its path, but the mesa 400+ will definitly be LOUD. i'm not sure if a 100% all tube is the best thing for the road on a usa tour, but the things built well.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

?!?!?!

Tubes crack?

I'm thinking the term 'crack' does apply here somehow.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    In the Mesa shock rack, you won't have any issues with the 400+ unless you're guys are just heaving it from the truck onto the concrete. If you're really worried, they sell a complete compliment of tubes as a spares kit for reasonable.
    I've schlepped many tube amps up and down the road for decades, and never had a tube break, tho YMMV, I guess.

Nice amp. I've not tried thier other offerings.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    400+. One of my favorite sounding heads ever created, better than just about anything off the Ampeg line any day. What cab are you using?

9. fearlessdane

fearlessdane

Aug 29, 2005
    Portland, OR. Los Angeles, CA.
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg, Fender, Ernie Ball
    Thanks guys. I've tried most amps and have ended up staying with Ampeg the longest. The SVT 5 pro is insane. But Im sure Mesa makes some great stuff as well. I figure that I will rarely end up using the back up, but it never hurts to have an amp just as powerful just in case.

I will be running through an Ampeg 810E cab with MusicMan Stingrays. (Gotta love the free amps and guitars)

You can check out the music at www.myspace.com/astaticlullaby

Dane

10. sparrow

sparrow

May 26, 2005
    Belgium
    [​IMG]

can't wait to hear the new cd! good luck on the tour :smug:

11. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    You guys are signed with Columbia. Nice work!
    I added you to our myspace

12. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    yeah, the 400+ is a great amp. oh, and wile your on dane, i love y'alls first record. stay real and remember your true fans.

13. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You cant go wrong with any high powered Mesa amp.

I'd probably go solid state for a tour.

How did you guys get an endorsement? I want one too. :D

14. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I play music man Stingrays', Bongos, and Sterlings and used to be an Ampeg guy, then I got a Mesa 400+ and NEVER looked back, it's the best amp for me.

15. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    You could always have your Mesa head in plain view and still run your signal through your "secret" Ampeg head. :D

16. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    My 400+ is everything I expected it to be. And more. A 400+ is a Mesa sus-4 should be just fine for the road. In my opinion it can keep up with 1200 watt solid state power amps. Plus you have that awesome tube tone.

17. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I just listen to your mp3 and like it !

Mesa do great stuffs, i do agree to the mates here to say taht the 400+ is pure power tone ! BUT ! I wouldn't go full tube for touring, hybrid must be the best choice to do, check out the M Pluse 600 or even better if you can have a Mesa Basis M2000 it has 2 channels 2 compressors overdrive.. This amp was made for the stage.

18. Man lucky you to be sponsored by Mesa, but using an ampeg? Thats like being sponsored by Ferrari and driving a Ford! The Bass 400+ is the most reliable tube amp on the planet. I have had mine for over ten years now and would only reliquish it for the Phil Jones tube monster that goes for $10,000.
    OTOH, the Boogie tone controls can be a little difficult to suss at first. I have known guys that had no idea that the bass, treble and gain knobs all pull out to change the tone. I mostly run mine flat with teh bass and gain knobs pulled out. Sounds very close to an SVT!
    Oh while you are at it, check out their cabs! The make some of the best rock-n-roll bass cabs in the business. Like the Powerhouse etc. Very sturdy and very deep. And hats off to your management for acing such choice endorsments.

19. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Big Block 750.......

20. KevinMG

KevinMG Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Princeton, NJ
    The M-Pulse 600 is the closest to your Ampeg SVT 5PRO. It's a hybrid w/ 2 channels controllable with a footswitch. 600 watts @ 4ohms. Lots of Eq, including a passive mid control, which is great for getting that Ampeg-like vintage tone. I have a Walkabout, which is a smaller version of the 600 but same architecture. The tone is very flexible between modern & vintage sounding, but leans toward grit and girth. Great clarity and great control over your tone.

Since you're getting an endorsement, I'm sure the rep will allow you to try out a couple of different configurations before you commit.

Congrats and best of luck.