Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for NS players...

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by thrash_jazz, Jun 4, 2005.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hi gang,

I was just wondering if a drum cymbal stand would fit properly with the NS. I have heard of it working for some other EUB's, such as the Ergo.

I have an NSCR4M on the way (boogiebass's, actually :) ), but as it comes without a stand I'd prefer to use a cymbal stand if possible, as it would be less expensive and I wouldn't have to order it.

Thanks in advance!

2. Hmmm, I'm just not sure a cymbal stand would work effectively ... as you can see from this picture (which is NOT a good representation of the best way to set-up the NSD stand, it's too "upright" for the legs) that the tripod legs are not anything like on a cymbal stand. The one leg is used to adjust the angle of inclination since is slides along the center pole ... not sure how you would accomplish that with a cymbal stand.

[​IMG]

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the reply!

Actually I did pick up a cymbal stand with the proper sized screw for my NS, with the understanding that if it didn't work out I could get a refund. Having tried the regular NS stand as well, I have to say it didn't feel that much different to me. I adjusted the angle from the top, seems to work ok.

The screw fits perfectly - the only issue is that the arm between the stand and the bass is long enough to cause it to wobble slightly. Does anyone know of any kind of drum hardware with a thumbscrew-type attachment (like that of the NS stand) that might do a bit better, as I could then use a shorter joint? I'm on a mission to try and make this work now...

Thanks in advance! :)

4. junglejim

junglejim

Nov 17, 2003
    Norfolk, UK
    wow great pic you found!
    how NOT to set up your NS stand!!
    its amazing it doesnt fall over on the spot!!
    :rollno:

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yes, not correct (Elderly Instruments.....:eyebrow: ).
    The two front legs/feet should be spread out with the center nearly to the floor for maximum stability. My brochure with my NS4M said as much and it makes sense.

6. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Dunno if this helps any, but I have a pic of my NS EUB lying around the computer, and thought it might give a good angle to the area where the stand and body meet. I have another pic, but it's more froma side view (but the sunlight on the bass makes it GLOW!)

;)

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Stupid question from a DBer....why would you want the bass to be immobilized? A lot of the fun in playing an upright instrument (for me) is moving around a bit...helps me to stay in the pocket. I think I'd have a hard time getting into the groove if the bass wasn't a bit mobile. I'm guessing that some of you are doubling on slab, and do this to gain easy, quick access to the EUB? Just curious...

8. phlybass

phlybass

Dec 18, 2003
    I agree Marcus. When I was playing the NS exclusively, and even the last time I played it, which started this thread, I always used the end pin stand to allow for movement. This probably comes from my slab playing rock and roll days way back in the 50's.

I'm still a newbie on the Acoustic DB and haven't mastered the standing/balance concept yet, so I now play DB sitting.... couldn't be my age, could it?

9. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi.
    I saw you deleted your post because you couldn't figure how to attach a picture.
    Go back to your post and click on the "Edit" button.
    At the bottom of the edit box, there's another box, titled "Additional options".
    In that box you'll find a "Attach files" section, with a "Manage attachments" button.
    Click on it and the rest should be obvious.

Hope this helps!
    Regards,
    François

10. Klelewon

Klelewon Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I bought the endpin after a few months and it was well worth the money. When it was on the stand I found myself tilting the stand(???). The endpin work very well for me. Also, they're heavy and built like a tank. So, I seldom worry about it falling over. (The endpin in the stand worrys me sometimes). But it's always steady.

I keep my tripod as flat as possible. Here are some pics :D . This is as good an excuse to post pics!

Cleveland

Attached Files:

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    This was the only stand available at the time I bought mine. I probably would have bought the endpin stand/attachment had it existed at the time.

12. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    it sounds as if by the time you're done with all the trouble and cost of making a cymbal stand work, you would be better off ordering the tripod.
    i use the tripod for my cr5m, as well as the strap system. i love the mobility of the strap, but the position is not comfortable for arco(for me). i like the stability of the tripod, it allows me to modify my body position and technique to take better advantage of the length of the neck(it's design excludes the typical thumb-stop at Db or Eb) and the extreme range available.
    i will be picking up the endpin, not for the mobility, but because the one thing i miss is feeling the notes resonate through my hip and sternum. with the tripod there is no contact with the upper body,
    just through the hands and (possibly)shoulder. sorry to go ranting off topic a bit, maybe these points can help you think about your approach to this awesome instrument.
    you certainly won't regret your purchase, enjoy! ;)
    d

13. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Actually the main reason why I'd like to do this is cost. According to NS's website, a replacement tripod stand goes for $235 USD. By the time all's said and done that's probably close to $400 Canadian... whereas the cymbal stand was $75 plus a bit of elbow grease.

I might interested in the endpin stand too. How stable is it? It looks a bit awkward in the pictures I've seen of it.

In any case, I'm definitely loving this bass. A few years ago I had rented an Aria EUB - the NS blows it completely out of the water, although they were close to the same price.

14. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    235?
    they've got to be able to do better than that, it's quite ridiculous...
    love the bass to death, but they unfortunately cheap out on stock strings and case, really sad when you invest so much in the instrument in the first place, then charge tons for acessories. actually, i recall paying 145. for my strap system, and it was a great deal apparently,
    but is just a couple pieces of wood. i also had to get a replacement part after little use...to their credit they sent it out free and quickly. also had probs with the original bass...sent one back, actually, had to have the neck dressed immediately after purchase on the second. i wonder what the cause is for all this...import taxes or some such? i want them to profit for their hard work, keep improving, but geeez...it's getting like the housing market these days...
    a bit unreasonable.
    back on topic, not sure how you intend to attach the cymbal stand to the bass, but without the appropriate stand/body attachment i'd be concerned about the mounting point...the design of the stock attachment really distributes the weight and pressure onto a wide area, unlike screwing a point into the threaded mount, which is quite small...
    d

15. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    For the record, I owned a CR4M for a couple of years. I know how heavy the bass is and how it works with the tripod stand. I think trying to mount it on a non-NS stand is a really bad idea. An accident waiting to happen. Plus, if you get the newer endpin stand at some point, it is built to be incorporated with the NS tripod stand and probably will not work (safely) with your "Frankenstein" contraption.

16. Klelewon

Klelewon Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    IMHO. The endpin using the tripod is very stable. My CR4M is always in its stand. The NS stand is heavy duty and solid. It doesn’t wobble at all. If you’re set on a non-NS stand I think conga or timbale stands are more rugged and sturdy. I have several. But, I’m happy with my NS Endpin and Tripod Stand.

Cleveland

17. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I eventually got tired of duct taping the wooden block part of the endpin adapter to the stand and went to a setup very much like what you show in your pic. Check out:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=2276589#poststop

The only difference is that I have rotated the instrument 180 degrees (naturally, you have to adjust it to tilt the other way). Have you tried it this way? This way when you rock it back, it goes back straight because the 2 supporting legs are the same length.