Question for Sting Rays owners.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Tune, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Can you play chords,tapping,harmonics and some of those tricks in your Sting Ray? i know they aren,t versatile as a Jazz,but i like the punch of those basses but if possible play this fun tricks in them? :confused:
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You can play anything on a Stingray. You need to check out that David Larue guy who owns Basscentral at the Ernie Ball forum! Stingryas are very versatile basses, just like Jazzes. You just don't get that real obvious change in tones that you get switching from pickup tp pickup on a Jazz.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, there's just about anything I COULDN'T play on one.

Though I would hardly call those techniques "tricks"
  4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    thank,s guys and men i call this techniques tricks as a nickname,i know they are just techniques in bass palying,am a bassist for 8 years. :eyebrow:
  5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    nice,this basses sound very,very Jazz or new Sting Ray..oh my god,my head its going to explode :rollno:
  6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    If i buy a nre Ray,this will be my pick

7. i get really nice harmonics out of my stingray.
  8. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    nice to know..thank,s
  9. I think the piezo bridge offered in the SRs would make tapping and harmonics just sound amazing. They just give this amazing sound that is so smooth, yet so distinct.

10. ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    i havent met a fretted technique that didnt sound good (if not great) on my stingray 5. harmonics, slaps, taps and chords are all very cool on these.

dont forget to try both the rosewood and the maple fingerboards to see which one suits you best.

11. IMHO - just remember that a 'Ray sounds like a 'Ray.

Nothing else to offer... :bag:
  12. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Don't mean to hijack here but I saw some ray fans and have to ask. I've got a Sray 5 that I just don't play anymore. I'm mainly using my 55-01 and my KSD fretless 70j 5er. Gotta guy who I am corresponding with about making an even swap for my Sray and his PV Cirrus 6er. My bass is like new. He sent pics, very nice bass too, but he does not play it now like me with my ray. I want to try something radically different and this seems like a good opportunity for both of us to do that. Whadday think, he knows what sounds he wants from the ray, I don't really know what I'll get out of the Cirrus, but it'll sure be new to me. So, would you go for it? I know the decision is ultimatley mine, but just needed to run this by y'all. Thanks man, E.
  13. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    And a Jazz sounds like a Jazz. Woop de doo.

Ray's and especially Sterlings are so much more versatile than what people give them credit for.

I can go from growl, to smooth warmth, to crisp and cutting top end in a flick of a switch on the Sterling. The ray is versatile as well, as long as you know how to use it, though of course it's still going to sound like a ray, no matter what it's doing, because, well, it is a ray.
  14. genderblind

genderblind Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Do Tony Levin, Flea, Pino Palladino, Simon Gallup, Dave LaRue, Dave Allen, and the new guy in Jamiroquai all sound exactly the same on their Rays?
    It is down to the player to extract the sound from a bass that suits the music. Rays are particularly adept at this.
  15. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Switch yer Ray5 switch to series and bump up the treble a little, and use a pick. That gets Squire enough for me...
  16. I would say go for it.

If you're not playing your SR5, and this other guy isn't playing his Cirrus, that's a deal made to order.

As for the sounds you'll get from the Cirrus: from very P-bassish with the neck pup soloed, to modern hi-fi at almost all other settings. It's a very versatile bass, and couldn't be more different than a Stingray 5. I think the neck is more comfortable on the Cirrus.

I own a Cirrus 5 and a Stingray 4.

I have played a number of SR5s.

This sounds like Eskimos that need blankets, and people in Texas that have blankets, but need ice. ;)

I think you'll love the Cirrus. :cool:

Good luck.

Mike ;)
  17. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    For the pro-go words. I actually just got back from a local store that is a PV dealer and they had they exact same bass there in stock, so I was able to play it firsthand. This was a big concern for me trading basses sight unseen and sound unheard. But now I got a good idea of what to expect, a definite plus. Of course when I was playing it in the store it mainly felt like the 6th (C)string was just getting in the way of my playing, muscle memory and all. And when I tried to runs some scales from the B to the upper C, my left hand would not go past the 5th G string, I had to laugh, old habits. But the bass did sound nice with a tone that I can use in one of my bands. I really look forward to practicing with it and retraining my hands, I think I can do it. Hope the guy still has it now that I am hooked on learning to play a 6er. New gear is always cool, stange new gear, even cooler. Thanks again for the info, I 'll give my ray a X-O, send her on to be played again. Peace.
  18. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I agree +1
  19. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Why don't you get your hands on a certain Peter gabriel track called "Sledgehammer" you could download it, you could buy it whatever.

There's a certain bald guy with a moustach called Tony Levin playing on that one. He used a Musicman stingray.

Pay close attention at what he does.

And eat your own words.
  20. Lebowski

Jul 11, 2005
    I've owned a 5 string 'ray for about 3 years now. I honestly cannot think of one bad thing I can say about it. And those reports that say that stingrays are not versatile, are bogus. One might argue these basses were made for slapping, but tapping and other techniques sound great as well.