Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for y'all

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Faded, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Faded

Faded

Dec 26, 2004
    Santa Barbara
    Alright, apparently I'm going to be playing with a "post-modern" metal band (whatever that means), and I need to figure out the amp situation. I hate lugging aroung my ampeg half-stack, and I also have a Carvin 180 watt 1X15 combo and a Tech 21 Bass Driver DI/preamp thing.

My question is, for small to medium sized gigs, could I get by with the Carvin and the Driver? I don't care about having fantastic tone, I just want to be heard. Getting my Ampeg stack could prove to be problematic as it lives at the guitarist's house of my main band(I live in a dorm), and I don't have a car. The Carvin is nice and light, and I could take it on the bus with me, if I need be.

What do you guys think?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    As we say at work..."One test is worth one thousand expert opinions". Give it a whirl and see how it goes.

If you're not audible...blame it on the guitarist(s) :D and try something else out the next time...

Can you plug into the PA?

3. Faded

Faded

Dec 26, 2004
    Santa Barbara
    I haven't heard back from the guy yet, but I hope so.

4. I take it that this is a "one-nighter"? Sounds like it. If you can go direct through the PA, then the only thing you need to consider is your stage volume and take the small rig.

If it's not possible to PA the bass, then maybe one of the guys in the group you're playing for can help by picking you and your gear up. All you need to do is make sure you have access to it when you need it.

Worst case; take "BillyB" 's advice and blame it on the rest of the band being too loud! Any idea the tunes you'll be playing? What the venue is like, size-wise? How long until the gig? Gonna rehearse with these guys? Just curious, since you don't seem to know what they even play...

5. Faded

Faded

Dec 26, 2004
    Santa Barbara
    Yeah, I still need to hear back from him. I'm just trying to get this situation worked out beforehand as soon as possible.