1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question on a used purchase-Squier MB5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Just bought a Squier MB5 from Craigslist relatively inexpensively- in good condition physically in the cherry red sunburst color.
    I have a quick question to those that have or have tried this bass - I know it's a passive bass but the one I have seems a tad bit underpowered. I have other passive basses but this particular one, I seem to need to boost the amplifier volume from about 4 to 7 in order to be at the same volume level as let's say with my Tobias Toby (a 4 string passive with similar style pickups).
    Are these basses by nature underpowered, or could the pickups be defective? (no distortion, no other signs of problems other than the volume). I know the easiest solution is to just turn up the amp, but would just like to know if my pickups aren't working up to snuff- would the standard J style pickup be the replacement? ( I don't have a bass with one to compare the size accurately).

Another question to ask, far less technical and applicable to any Craigslist purchase of a used instrument...
    How the heck do you remove the smell from a bass??? It smells like, well....pot, I've tried to clean the body with the lemon scented guitar cleaner, wiped the strings but the smell is so strong and I get quite a bit dizzy playing the bass (lol). I'm trying to air it out so to speak, but would like to hasten the process a little bit- the person I bought the bass from must have smoked a lot in order to have the bass absolutely reeking in it- not against it mind you, but what if I play the bass in front of a cop or someone from the DEA? ha ha....

Thanks for reading and any help on the questions would be much appreciated.

2. JPBourdier

JPBourdier

Jan 2, 2011
    Texas - DFW
    I owned (briefly) a beautiful blue Squier MB5. The neck was great and the body was light. The pickups, however, were noticeably weak. It made a good practice bass for the office but I never used because of the pickups. Good luck on a replacement set - potentially a very good instrument.

3. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The pickups on those Squier MB5s are the Achilles heel of the instrument. If you really like the bass get a decent replacement set and you should be good to go. Otherwise keep it as a practice bass.

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I like the feel of the bass, neck is thin (basically a five string in a 4.5 string width )- not slap/pop friendly -possible but just hard to go full bore. Perfect for practice I fully agree, I think that will be it's main purpose. I guess then, the pickups work as they're supposed to, just weaker than what I'm used to. I've read somewhere that someone put a preamp in it to boost the power a bit, don't know if I'll go that route.
    Thank you for the answers.