Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question on acoustic amplification

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bjornbass, Jun 3, 2005.

1. bjornbass

bjornbass

May 27, 2005
    Butt(e), MT
    I rented a bass from my school for the summer and was wondering if I could use one of those piezo transducer thingamajigs to pickup the sound of the bass. If I could, where is the thing traditionally positioned on an upright? Right now I have an amp that I use for my bass guitar but I'm afraid if I play through it on the standup I could possibly damage it. Am I right or just being paranoid? :confused:

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Most upright bass pickups are installed on the bridge.
    If your amp is a bass guitar amp, there's nothing to worry about damageing it!
    The upright bass is exactly in the same register.

3. see the thread immediately below for a bit more info on specific pickups.

4. bjornbass

bjornbass

May 27, 2005
    Butt(e), MT
    Hey thanks for the input. So the Piezo sits on the bridge somewhere? hmmmm... would it be in between the wings of the bridge? Is that the correct term for that part of the bridge? I'm so dumb when it comes to uprights :rollno:

5. many different kinds; some clip over the top of the bridge, some wedge between the wings, some are placed between the feet of the bridge and the body. The K&K Bass max ia a pretty solid piezo pickup that fits in the space in the "wing" of the bridge.

6. bjornbass

bjornbass

May 27, 2005
    Butt(e), MT
    could I use that 5$ piezo you get at radio shack? I don't have money to blow.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I made a pickup with one. They're very very trebly but they work. There's $25 pickups you can buy on Ebay that are made with cheap piezos like those at Radio Shack. I haven't the faintest idea how to mount it best, though. I just tried mine for picking up the fingerboard slaps for my oldies band and it was way too trebly for my tastes. I've heard you can wire two together and break the plastic casings off and stick them under the bridge feet, or I've heard you can wrap one in cloth and stick it in the E side bridge wing. Experimentation is best.