1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question on Live sound Subwoofers

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by slap-a-da-bass, Oct 8, 2017.

1. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    I've played in several cover rock bands over the last 6 years, and currently play in an original alternative band.

My full PA consists of 2 K10's, 2 KW181's, and some RCF monitors. I run a Presonus board.

Anyway, The alt band I play in usually plays small to med sized gigs, and one of my KW181's is more than good for what we're doing. We also play some festivals, in which PA is provided. Getting to the point, I'm thinking about selling my QSC subs, and down sizing a bit.

Is there something I could be looking at that's slightly smaller and lighter, but will perform well?

I ask this because I didn't want to sell one of my QSC's and then down the road, have problems selling the other because a new model came out.

Thoughts?

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Truthfully... no. Bad idea. What you want to do is strike a relationship with some local DJ or a wedding venue, let your other local band bud's know you have them for rent...who needs sub support and get them earning for you... I regularly get $225 for a pair of k12's on kw181's, poles, 1 sm58 on a stand, small format Yamaha mixer, cables, delivery and pickup...
    Add on lighting and it gets to be a nice payday...

Make that stuff earn it's keep ;-)

On that three... if you were close by, I would buy it ..

3. I agree. Keep what you have and rent it out as needed/desired. You have an excellent system there. (I own the same QSC gear) They create great sound, clean and powerful. Heck the subs are on wheels, they're not so bad

4. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    Yep. Seems that the way to go.

How do you all get into the market of rental, at least on this small of a scale?

5. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I'm in a very small market and I literally know everybody - club owners/managers, bands, unattached/solo musicians, radio station & I host Open Mics. I try to keep a high profile & make sure everybody knows & gets reminded regularly that I'm here & what I do. Clubs & radio station sometimes get me referrals for out-of-town acts.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Make yourself known at the local chamber. can't say that my chamber dues have paid off but I'm hopeful... Find the venues that bring in dj's but don't have systems in place. Make relationships with wedding planners, make relationships with DJ's ... if you have a cheap wireless mic rig, do Pro-bono support for the fund raisers held by the local movers and shakers.

I'm doing a freebie tomorrow night for a local animal shelter... it's something I dearly believe in and part of my marketing outreach... I do 5 or 6 of those a year. I think it helps raise my profile a bit...

Just beginning to work on a website... RENTAL will be all over it...

Bufalo and Tom Bomb like this.