Question on using a mixer with my delta cards

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by DaS HaaS, Apr 28, 2004.

1. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    Endorsing Artist - Ampeg, Ernie Ball
    I'm new to recording, and have some questions I hope you will be able to answer. I have a pc dedicated to recording with 2 M Audio soundcards. I have a Delta 44 with the standard 4in /4 out breakout box. I also have a Delta 66 with the Omni I/o box. Im using Samplitude 7 to record. My problems is that I would like to use a Mixer and have each channel on the mixer go to a input on one of my cards I have 8 inputs so i would like a reliable mixer that has perhaps an output per channel. Any suggestions?
  2. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Mackie 1642, or better yet the Mackie 1604.
    Anything less wont be adequate for 8-track simultaneous recording.
  3. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I will second the 1604. A bit spendy but you really want somwthing with dedicated direct outs. You can, though its not the best way, use inserts on the first click to get a "faux" direct out, its unbalanced and well volatile, cuz you got a cable hanging half way out the mixer.

The Allen and Heath stuff is spendy but great pre'ams.

You may also look into one of those rack mount eight channel pre-amps. PreSonus,M-audio and bunch other make 'em.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    if you're talking about using the insert as a direct out, there's a way around that. Make up a special cable that plugs in all the way but only has wires connected to the things you want it to connect to.............. it would have to be a dedicated cable though coz it won't work on anything else.

Usually, but not always, the tip of the TRS plug is the return and the ring is the send. So disconnecting the tip means the lead can only send signals and not return them. Check your used manual though.............
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Doing that will "open" the channel, preventing it from going to the main mix on the board. That might not be a problem though, if all you want is a bunch of preamps going to your sound card inputs, and you're not going to use the main mix outs from the mixer.

If you want the signal to go to the main mix as well, what you need to do is connect the tip to the ring. So, take a mono cable with a TS connector on one end, and put a TRS connector on the other end with the signal wire connected to both the tip and the ring. This "returns" the same thing it "sends", and also sends it down the cable.
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Gads, month-old thread. Not too busy in these parts, eh.
  7. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I would take Allen & Heath Mixwizard over Mackie any day of the week.