Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question/problem about bass wahs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    right now im using the digitech bass synth wah, which i only use for the wah affect (i have the boss oc-3 octaver because i switch between the 2 effects so often). the problem with the digitech is that i find the bottom being completely sucked out of my sound when it is engaged. does anyone have any recommendations for a wah that will leave my bottom end the way it is and also is not too expensive? thanks.

2. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Well - wah pedals are practically always swept band-pass filters, i.e. they cut treble and bass and pass a narrow band of frequencies. I can't think of any good suggestion except to have an external device that lets you mix in some of the original signal post-wah. There's at least one pedal that does this in production, an Australian one, but I can't remember where to find it currently.

Mike

3. 2 possible solutions - have you tried the Env. Sub. setting on the Digitech? It's setting #2 and your lows are there. Granted, it adds an octave below, which you're getting with your octave pedal, but might be the setting to eliminate a pedal.

Other solution would be to switch up pedals. Maybe the Guyatone Bottom Wah Rocker (which I've never tried) or the EBS Bass IQ, which seems to really preserve low end.

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    2 options come to mind:
    - Dunlop 105Q has a built-in crossover and only 'wahs' on the highs
    - Earthquake Bass Wah allows you to blend the dry (bass-preserving) and wet signals

They sound different from one another, I personally prefer the Earthquake but it's conisderably more expensive, so the Dunlop may be just what yer lookin' fer.

5. I own the EBS BassIQ and the Dunlop 105q bass wah. I have tried many envelope filters and wah wahs and these are the two that I have found best keep the low end. As mentioned, the 105q only wahs the higher frequency, so the low end remains intact. I quite like the way it sounds. The EBS BassIQ retains nearly all of your low end while still effecting the whole signal. It also has a trimpot inside it that allows you to mix the clean and effected signals. I think it's one of the best Envelope filters available for bass.

Other than buying a new pedal I suggest you look at a pedal that allows you to stick your effects in an effects loop and blend it with your clean signal. I don't know the names of any off the top of my head. I'm about to make my own actually.

6. building on what others have said, i too have the 105q. ive always noticed that my low end was still present. it sounds awesome. plus you can adjust the size of the wave with a control knob. good stuff all around.