1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question regarding a Spector NS5 2001 (Bolt on NY)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BSOD, Mar 6, 2008.

1. G'day everyone,

I'm looking at purchasing a 2nd hand 2001 Spector NS5. I've been out of the bass scene for quite awhile, so I know very little about Spector basses. From what I have read off the web most people seem really happy with them.

Now, according to the sales person at the shop they claim this particular model retailed for $6000 AUD, and they are asking $2700 for it. I presume the $6000 price tag was back in 2001 when the exchange rates did not favour imported basses.

So, does this price seem realistic or what? Has anyone had any experience with this particular model?

As for playing styles I like to play rock / jazzrock. The sales person said it would suite both styles fine, but then he would wouldn't he :) Here's the URL to the add. You'll need to scroll down towards the end where the entry for the bass is.

http://www.basscentre.com.au/Text/1125544125203-1501/Used-Basses

And here's the URL to their images of it.
    http://basscentre.com.au/uploadedFiles/1190275128093-1080.jpg

Any comments / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Craig

2. Hey there,
    $2700 AUD is about $2500 US at the moment, so even with import duties factored in, that's pretty optomistic for a used bass even if all the griping I've heard about the cost of secondhand equipment in Oz is true.
    I played that model in a Guitar Center, tagged at $950 US, and the same model recently popped up in the TB classifieds but I don't remember the price.
    As for the bass itself, it's a very nice instrument, even by Spector standards. The one I played was very light and seemed well balanced, and the neck was thin and fast.
    The tone is interesting -- the neck pickup is a standard ceramic-magnet EMG J pickup, and sounds kind of thin but clear and balanced. The bridge humbucker is a special job with an iron magnet, IIRC, and is coupled with a push-pull volume pot.
    With the pot pushed in, the bridge pickup sounds kind of like a normal EMG but with more meat in the low mids. With the pot pulled up, the output jumps and a lot of high mids are brought in, if I'm remembering this right.
    Overall, it's a very different animal from most Spectors, but I really enjoyed the one I played. If you can negotiate a fair price, I think you'll be very happy with it.

3. arjune

arjune

Oct 8, 2006
    SF, CA
    It's a gorgeous bass!

4. Thanks for the replies so far. I'm begining to think that the bass, although stunning in looks (and probably quality) is probably not quite worth their asking price. I've tried talking them down a little but they made it quite clear there will be no movement on the price. It's interesting that some of the other 2nd bases have moved quite fast but the Spector hasn't which makes me a little nervous. I think I'll look around some more and revisit it in a month or so.

Thanks for your input.

Craig